Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Records On-Line

SMG65

For those who haven't read the latest edition of 'Stand To' you may be interested to know that the Attestation Papers for the CEF are now on-line free of charge.

It's very easy to follow and its very interesting even for those who have not got relatives in the CEF.

Last night I experienced a 'eureka' moment.

Having spent ten years trying to trace a relative who fought with the CEF with no success I finally found him.

I have a 97 year old great aunt who said her uncle Danny Moore went to Canada from Darlington and came back with the CEF. She met him once in 1917/18 whilst she was a child. I have a smudged photo of him and apparently he was a trapper. I found Daniel Moore, born 1893 in Middlesbrough. However I can't find any of the family on the 1901 census. In 2001 whilst on honeymoon in Canada I dragged my wife (she really must love me), to the Canadian Records Centre in Ottawa to search for him with no success.

However last night I went on the CEF website and found him under the name of Patrick Moore but also known as Daniel Paul Moore. He was born in 1895 in Dublin and he has as his next of kin my great grandmother living in Darlington.

This may explain why they are not on the 1901 census as the family look like they were in Dublin then. I need to find out what happened to the first Daniel Moore and I now need to trace Patrick Moore's military service, you can order a soldiers full file.

So for those who are in the same situation as I was in until last night.

I hope my story gives inspiration - NEVER GIVE UP

SEAN

PALS

When you recieve your soldiers file from the Canadian Archives you wil find that,more than likely you have hit a gold mine of in formation.Things like where trained,date sailed,where landed,camps in U.K.,or where ever and if a casualty a full history of what happened to them.I have detauiled temperature charts,details of drugs given.and if they died more information about next of kin etc.One of mine seems to have gained a phantom child who was payed by ther Canadian Government for some time after his death.Remember that a very large proportion of the Canadian and New Found land armies were born in the U.K.. Tis is worth remembering when looking through the CWGC site,dont assume they are U.K. soldiers because they may have quite easily have been in the Canadian armie.So where it asks for nationality,it can pay to put unknown.

GOOD HUNTING.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Hi John,

Your comment about a phantom child struck a chord with me. A deceased uncle served in the Canadian Army in WW2, and although married, managed to have an affair with an English girl which resulted in a child.

Upon his return to Canada he made the discovery that his wife had had a relationship with a British flyer who was here with the BCATP, and low and behold, a little girl was the result!

Things happen in wartime, and my aunt and uncle stayed together, had other children, and lived to ripe old age. He was kind enough before his death to give me his medals - the usual five (39-45 and France & Germany, CVSM, Defence and War medals) plus Efficiency Medal & 2 clasps.

Hi Sean. I'm glad to hear you had a "eureka" moment.

Once you receive his service file and know what Battalion he served with at the front, you'll be able to read the relevant War Diary on-line, link.

Now that the Canadians have their Attestation Records on-line are there any plans for Great Britain to put our soldiers records on-line?

If the Canadians can do it with 600,000 then surely we can with the 2 million that survived?

SEAN

The CEF Study Group [Canadian equivalent to this Forum] also has a small War Diary Transcription group which is starting to transcribe some of the CEF War Diaries - many of these are also online.

The CEF War Diaries can also be downloaded at no charge.