Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials in London

Ali Hollington

Hi,

Planning to go up to London on my next day off (with reasonable weather) to take a photo of the MGC memorial and RA memorial which I believe is in Hyde Parkand then possibly over to Westminster Abbey for the RAMC window, my question is what others are around that area?

I know there could be masses but any suggestions?

Regards

Ali

I don't know how much time you've got, but possibly you may wish to picture the Railway Memorials. The Met railway is at Baker street (although there's another at Wembley) and then th mainline memorials at Waterloo, Victoria and Liverpool street. There is a memorial (City of London regiment?) directly above Bank station.

There are also a number of memorials both WW1 and WW2 along the northern side of the embankment from Charing Cross towards Blackfriars (you may also wish to photograph the Zeppelin Raid damage by the embankment at Charing Cross). There's also another memorial smack in the middle of the road near St Clement Danes (Fleet St/Aldwych).

Guest Invicta

Ali

they won't let you take photos in Westminster Abbey for your guide.

There are literally hundreds in the capital. Here are a few I recommend.

The City of London Fusiliers Church, St Sepulchre in Newgate Street.

The Royal Fusiliers in Holborn (on juction with Grays Inn Road) Then into the courtyard of the Prudential Building for their employees memorial

St Botolph Bishopsgate - HAC and London Rifle Brigade then Liverpool Street Station. Other Stations with memorials are at Euston, Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge and Paddington

The Rifle Brigade - Grosvenor Place near Buckingham Palace

The Civil Service Rifles at Somerset House (the memorial is on the River walkway and is a personal favourite).

Most churches in the City of London have a memorial or two. Be careful as most are not open at weekends. To cover the City would probably be a day in itself.

The Royal Exchange by the Bank of England has a splendid memorial to the London Regiment.

I use my work email address for the Forum as I have no email at home at the moment. I leave the company today. I would be happy to show you around some memorials if you wish and if I am available on your chosen day. I will email you my home phone number.

Regards

Invicta (Neil Bright)

hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I already have a photo of the railways memorial from Baker Street but the others sound good, maybe it will have to be a number of visits.

My work often takes me into London, so I will have to keep my eyes open.

they won't let you take photos in Westminster Abbey for your guide

Is this a new rule? About 10 years ago I took part in a ceremony for the turning of the pages of the RAMC roll of honour held (at the time) in WA, I can remember people taking photos as I felt a bit self-conscious at the time.

Regards

Ali

You might check out my site www.aghollinger.org and look for my page and the memorials section ... I've got pictures of many of the ones around the Touristy areas ... I found they're everywhere including the wall of the refreshment stand in Hyde Park ... don't forget the Canadian memorial ... IMHO the best of a very good group. The USA alcove in St Pauls is tremendous as well.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. It seems Hyde Park is a good place to start, and coming in from Essex gives the options of going for Liverpool Street or Tower Hill.

Liverpool Street Station

Where is this memorial, I must of passed through LS a few hundred times but obviously just drifted by!

Ali

Where is this memorial, I must of passed through LS a few hundred times but obviously just drifted by!

From memory - go into the station via the entrance with the McDonalds right outside it. As you enter, stay on that level, and turn right.

Its a wall/roll of honour

regards

doogal

From memory - go into the station via the entrance with the McDonalds right outside it. As you enter, stay on that level, and turn right.

Cheers, so all I need now is some time off, my camera and a travelcard!

check out my site www.aghollinger.org and look for my page and the memorials section

Had a look, excellent range of memorials, you say the Guards is in Horse Guards grounds, where about is this?

Ali

Sorry I meant, where abouts in Horse Guards is it! Is it within one of the bases?

Ali

CHRIS PALS

This together with another thread about local books about memorials,would tend to make us look at the posability of a memorial site on this forum or the mother site.We assume that these memorials are permanent,this is true of the large sites in London and other places,but it is far from so else where.

Might I suggest a detailed picture of a memorial followed by an O.S. reference as to where itis.This will be a lot of work,but well within the scope of us PALS.Of course it is easy for me to say this and then hope that others will get on with it.So IF it is a good idea. I would be prepared to do my bit to help it along.We have our list of PALS who are prepared to take photos.This group could form the basis of a working group to this end.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread,perhaps Ishould have started a new one.

Let me know what you feel about this as a suggestion.

CHEERS.

JOHN :D

Ali

they won't let you take photos in Westminster Abbey for your guide.

There are literally hundreds in the capital. Here are a few I recommend.

(snipped list)

WW1 British Submariner's Memorial, Embankment, between Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridges, just to the east of the WW2 sloop HQS Wellington (the livery hall of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners).

Also of note on the Embankment is Cleopatra's Needle, which still shows WW1 bomb damage (I believe there is a plaque noting the event).

There is a memorial to Post Office workers on the side of the Royal Mail sorting office near Tottenham Court Road tube station - it's either Newman Street or the rear of the building in Rathbone Place.

The memorial to the 12th Battalion, London Regiment is in Chenies Street (where the drill hall was), off Tottenham Court Road, almost opposite Goodge Street tube station, although it is fenced into the compund of the secure storage company based in the WW2 Deep Level Shelter under the station. There are some pictures of the shelter entrance on my Hidden City webpage (second from bottom), although the memorial isn't particularly clear, as it's a long-shot:

117_11c.jpg

It's amazing what a few pints at lunchtime can do to the memory. If you get down to the embankment, then pop into the little park by the tube station and there's a memorial to the Camel Corps.

Sir Henry Wilson has a little memorial all to himself at L'Pool St and of course the RND Memorial is now in the The Mall, I think , having been moved from Greenwich.

Don't forget to pay your respects to Earl Haig in Whitehall and also nod towards that great semi forgotten hero Lord Alanbrooke.

Of course going from Whitehall through to Horseguards and the Household Div memorial takes you where Diana's funeral procession went.

The RGA (the stautue has a very big gun on it at least) have an impressive memorial at the roundabout next to The Duke of Wellington's House (Apsley House - Number one London), it could be the RA memorial you mentioned.

Although slightly awkward to get to, there is now a new memorial to animals used in wartime along Park Lane itself - just opposite the Grosvenor, or thereabouts.

if I think of any more round there, I shall post....

regards

doogal

Edited by doogal

It's amazing what a few pints at lunchtime can do to the memory. If you get down to the embankment, then pop into the little park by the tube station and there's a memorial to the Camel Corps.

As tealeaf says there is a Memorial to the Imperial Camel Corps in the Embankment Gardens next to the Embankment underground station. This finely sculpted piece lists the names of the men who lost their lives during WW1 including C M Q Orchardson MC who was the son of Sir William Quiller Orchardson RA the well known portrait and subject artist (well known of his time).

If you do decide to walk from the Hyde Park/West End area towards the City via Embankment, could I suggest that you stop off here:

http://www.urban75.org/london/postman.html

There is no WW1 memorial in there as far as I'm aware; nevertheless, its a fasinating but tranquil garden, just round the corner from St Pauls and as good a place for a little rest as any.

Don't forget the CWGC Tower Hill Memorial to the Merchant Navy dead of both world wars.

Tends to get a bit crowded around mid-day with the lunchtime sandwich crowd, but the current weather might hold them off a bit!

Have a look at the inscription on the back of the MGC memorial - The Royal Artillery monument is very striking and big. Apart from the arch, there is a memorial to Wellington's soldiers thereas well.

If you go along Grosvenor Place from Hyde Park Corner to the junction of Grosvenor Gardens and Buckingham Palace Road, about 10 mins walk, you will see the Rifle Brigade memorial and, virtually next to it, an equestrian statue of Marshall Foch.

In Victoria Station, just across the road, by platform 8, is a plaque commemorating the arrival of the unknown soldier on 10th November 1920 prior to his being laid to rest on November 11th. There is a plaque on the wall to the left of the main entrance to those employees of the Southern Railway who were killed inWW1.

From there you can get a bus to Westminster Abbey and Whitehall; only a few stops.

Whatever you decide to look at enjoy your day.