Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusing 1914 trio to 2nd Worcesters man.

Duncan

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this confusing 1914 trio to a 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment man? He is Private 9441 William Sharp of the 2nd Worcesters. His MIC states that he embarked for France on the 12 August 1914, later transferred to Private 190867 Labour Corps, and was discharged on the 17th September 1917.

However, there is no mention of a Silver War Badge. It seems odd that someone would be discharged like that for no reason like wounds or sickness. Surely with compulsory military service he would have to have carried on serving for the duration of the war, or until discharged for health reasons?

There is no mention either of a Aug-Nov bar or rosette, which seems odd too, as I thought the army was in dire straights in 1914 with everyman being thrown into the fight at Gheluvelt on 31st Oct 1914? So why would this man have been kept out of it?

Yet more mystery is that the Worcesters Regimental Museum does not have him listed on the embarkation roll for 12 Aug 1914.

I hear there is some sort of list of the original 2nd Worcesters held at Worcester Cathedral. Does anyone have access to this?

Sadly there’s no service records surviving.

Thanks loads,

Duncan.

Duncan

The list at the cathederal is those of the 2nd and 3rd bns, its bit more than a list really, written in copperplate and mounted behind glass in a cupboard the size of a small wardrobe, I wasn't planning on going to Worcester in the immediate future but can do in a couple of weeks. Presumably the list was based on information provided by the Regiment from the embarkation roll?

Kevin

Hi,

Many thanks for your help. If you're passing that way and could look to see if his name's there that would be great - don't go to any trouble though.

Many thanks once again,

Duncan.

1. The MIC should give reference of Medal Roll, which is the authority. In any case man had to APPLY for the clasp, many were not applied for, and had to prove entitlement. All battalions left men back as post orderlies etc., and these did not qualify, not being within range of enemy mobile artillery.

2. Many men were discharged fit in the period, 'On Termination of Engagement'. Until the Military Service Act of 1916, a man who had done his full time plus a year was free to go, although strenuous attempts were made to hang on to him. His regimental number should make it possible for an expert to date his original enlistment. After the MSA passed, if a man was young and fit enough, he was in fact conscripted.

Being held back in Aug 1914 AND too old for further service in 1917-8 does suggest your man might have been a bit long in the tooth [assuming he had any]

Thanks Kevin, for going to the Cathedral for me. It's very much appreciated. And thanks langleybaston1418 for the info.

All the best to both

Duncan.