Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oxford University Volunteers

Compo

What was the Oxford University Volunteers?

I have an undergraduate who left this unit on graduation and became a journalist with the Morning Post in London where he volunteered and joined the London Scottish in Aug 1914 where he was a private but promoted to Corporal then Sergeant a few days before being given a commission to Captain in the New Army; the 7th Royal Scots Fusiliers. A symptom of how short the New Armies were for subalterns I think.

I am puzzled why he was not given a commission when he first voluteered with the London Scottish if he was in the Oxford OTC or was this unit not OTC and he served as a private in a local reserve located at the university?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regds Bill

Hello Bill,

Please find here a short lineage of the Oxford University Volunteers

1st (Oxford University) Vol Bn, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Lt Inf

Raised 8 Aug. 1859 at Oxford University as 1st Oxfordshire (Oxford Univ) RVC with three coys. 4th Coy formed 16 Dec. 1859. 5th and 6th Coys formed later. Became 1 Jul. 1881 a vol bn of the regt, and redes Dec. 1887 as 1st (Oxford Univ) Vol Bn. Reorg 1 Aug. 1908 as Oxford Univ Contingent, Senior Division, OTC.

As you see, this unit was an "ordinary" battalion of the Volunteer Force until 1908. As such, I don't think it hold the same status as the post 1908 OTC, apart from the fact that much personnal would have been potential officers. So, this might explain why your man wasn't commissioned immediately.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers,

Wienand

Hi Wienand,

Just the details I needed. I think it explains the puzzle very well although I am still wondering at the motivation of a University undergrad who elects to join the military but opts for rank and file service when he could so obviously have joined the OTC.

Thanks for your response.

Regds Bill

• 1 month later...

There were a few Bermudians studying at Oxford who enetered the Army that way, as I recall. Most notable, to me, having been a pupil at Gilbert Institute, was Major CGG Gilbert. I've transcribed those parts of his memoirs concerning his military service on my website:

Click at the bottom, left of this page.

Army History of Bermuda

You'll also find him, and other ex-Oxford islanders, on my incomplete list of islanders who served in units other than the 1 Lincolns/BVRC and RGA/BMA.

Click on, 'THE GREAT WAR,

BERMUDIANS SERVING IN BRITISH, DOMINION AND ALLIED FORCES (OTHER THAN LOCAL VOLUNTEER UNITS)', on the same page.

Gilbert's oldest son, Maj. Gen. Glyn Gilbert, who died last year, was the highest ranking Bermudian, thusfar. You'll find pages on him by clicking right next his father, on that same page.

Don't know what help any of that is, but hope it's interesting.

Sean Pol

The unit is covered briefly in the excellent book 'Tolkien and the Great War' by John Garth. Needless to say Tolkien was a member when he first went up to Oxford.

Now that I'm thinking on it, I recall a history of the Volunteer Army stating that Oxford and Cambridge (each, or together?) raised a volunteer rifle corps in which students served in the ranks, and professors as officers. This wasn't intended as an officer's training course, or a cadet corps, but as a unit of the voluteer army, ready to play its part in a defense of Britain.

My earlier reference to Bermudian students who achieved commissions in this way is probably erroneous. They would have gained their commissions through an OTC at Oxford.

Sean

Sean,

In addition to your answer I would like to add, i.e., answer the together question you put forward, that Oxford and Cambridge formed a volunteer corps separate of each other. This all happened in the 1860s. Upon the creation of the TF in 1908 the units became OTC's.

Cheers to all,

Wienand

Sean,

In addition to your answer I would like to add, i.e., answer the together question you put forward, that Oxford and Cambridge formed a volunteer corps separate of each other. This all happened in the 1860s. Upon the creation of the TF in 1908 the units became OTC's.

Cheers to all,

Wienand

Thanks, that means i was right on both counts, and i don't feel like such a moron.

'History of the Cambridge University Officer Training Corps by Hew Strachan (Midas Books 1976)ISBN 085936 059 8. I have a copy.

Covers the Volunteer period through to 1972.

Dave