Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service numbers

Guest troy

All of my Bailey ancestors back, so far, to late 1700s, appear to have been in RA in one form or another. I'm having some difficulty in finding out anything about their service history. However, I know at least 3 of them were at The Duke of Yorks Royal Military School, 2 in the 1800s and 1 in the 1930s and I have these records. From there they went on to RA, RHA or RGA, one landing up later in Mounted Military Police. When they left DoY they had service numbers. Can anyone please advise whether this service number would have kept with them throughout their career or whether I will have to trace other service numbers for each of them. Apologies if this is a big ask but any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. Jan <_<

Jan.

Welcome to the forum.

It may be best if you list all the information you have. Any dates, locations etc that you know of and their numbers.

Roop

Hello Roop

Thanks for responding. This is the information I have:

My g.grandfather William Thomas Bailey. Qtr Master Sgt RA 25200

served in Bermuda, Halifax NS, Malta and Egypt (up until 1896 that is - don't know after that). Although on the 1901 Census he is still a serving soldier and living at Woolwich.

His sons:

My grandfather Albert Ernest Bailey - Duke of York papers say went to Royal Horse Artillery 22.2.1902. No. 6202 III Class. He would have been 14 years old. Later Military Mounted Police.

My g.uncle Edwin Stewart Bailey - Duke of York papers say went to Royal G Artillery - which I now think is Garrison Artillery 24.10.1903. No. 6573 III Class. He would also have been 14 years old.

Both Albert and Edwin served in 1914-18, Albert was in France 1915-19.

I am not sure whether these are their actual service numbers since they are both earlier than their Father's and he'd served 27 years when the last son left DoY.

There are two Baileys before these, my g.g. Grandfather William who was Garrison Sgt Mjr Woolwich in 1863 and his Father John who was pensioner RA in about 1851. NO idea, yet, of their numbers or where to find them.

I know that g.g William who was at Woolwich in 1863 served also at Portsmouth, Aldershot, Shorncliffe as well because that's where all the children were born but all the Baileys came from Woolwich anyway.

Also have the DoY records of my Uncle (son of Albert Ernest), info is:

Edwin Leslie Bailey- 12516 3rd Class went to RASC on 23.4.1935

Is this information any help? I hope it's not too confusing.

Many thanks

Jan

This is a link to the medal index card of the only Albert Bailey I can see that served in the RA during the Great War:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=2

And this is the one to Edwin S Bailey

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

With a bit of luck they'll be your relatives.

Jon

Jon

Thank you so much for this information. I will send off for those cards. It certainly looks as though they are mine.

I'll post when I have them to let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Jan :D