Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"TRENCH LIFE IN THE FRONT LINE: By S.W.Appleyard. 9th Territorial London Regiment. Queen Victorias Rifles

My family are in possession of a copy of this diary. Sidney was my 1st cousin twice removed. (my grandfathers 1st cousin) Grace Caroline Appleyard was my grandfathers mother. My grandfather Thomas Richard Tilley was very close to Sidney and his two brothers. My grandfather like the Appleyards, survived the Great War. My grandfather winning the Military Medal in 1917!

Paul Munro

I managed to acquire a copy a couple of years ago , i really enjoyed reading it . The part where he mentions about a German speaking pal who spent three weeks

behind enemy lines dressed as a German soldier collecting information i found interesting as I've read many accounts of German spies dressed as British soldiers

but not the other way around .

Hello

There are some amazing WW1 memories and diaries which are so enjoyable to read and re-read. Last year I paid a visit to the grave of Siegfried Sassoon in Mells Churchyard. I would like to visit the grave of Edmund Blunden at some point. Also, Rupert Brooke, but that's a bit more of an undertaking.

2 hours ago, NICHOLAS MUNRO said:

Hello

There are some amazing WW1 memories and diaries which are so enjoyable to read and re-read. Last year I paid a visit to the grave of Siegfried Sassoon in Mells Churchyard. I would like to visit the grave of Edmund Blunden at some point. Also, Rupert Brooke, but that's a bit more of an undertaking.

Yes , i totally agree with you there . Visiting the war poets graves is an interesting undertaking , i like to visit the grave of T.E Lawrence when i get the chance 

as it isn't too far from me . Hope you get to see Brooke's grave , that would be a visit to remember .