Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Batallion South Staffordshire Regiment - Tyne Cot Memorial

SimonMD

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone would have any photos they could share of the 8th Batallion South Staffordshire Regiment memorial at Tyne Cot. I'm specifically hoping to see the name of my Great Grandfather - George Henry Davis (number 19435). The War Graves Photographic Project lists the name as being 'Panel 90 to 92 and 162 to 162A' - apologies for my ignorance but does this mean his name is in two places? If so, why would that be. I'm very new to all this!!

I hope to visit once COVID is over and done with but in the mean time, if anyone has his name on a photo that they'd be willing to share, I would be so very grateful.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Hi SimonMD,

The CWGC has him listed as George Henry DAVIES, 19435, Panel 90-92. died 12.10.1917. BUT the Panel List 1 shows him as DAVIS.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

3 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi SimonMD,

The CWGC has him listed as George Henry DAVIES, 19435, Panel 90-92. died 12.10.1917.

Regards Barry

Ah, I see - does this mean that the '162-162A' is another George Henry then?

Our family name before him and after him (myself included) is Davies, but his war records and birth certificate has him as Davis (his parents couldn't write so the birth certificate registrar must have just gone with Davis and the Army must have followed suit) - so that is where the surname confusion comes from.

1 minute ago, The Inspector said:

Hi SimonMD,

You have another thread regarding the same person, the original posted 7 hours ago!

Regards Barry

I do indeed - in that thread it was suggested that I should post here to see if anyone had an image of this name on the memorial.