Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George William Marks and the days surrounding his death

matt3smith

Hi,

I'm wondering if the experts on this forum can help me with finding out more information about my Great Uncle George William Marks. I've recently found out he served and was killed in France on the 28/08/1918. No one in my immediate family knew of his death and his peers have all long since gone so it was an interesting if not sad find during a family tree quest.

Now I know he was in the South Lancashire Regiment 2/4th Battalion (Prince of Wales Volunteers), Service Number 37246 and a Sergeant. I have a copy of the war diary, however i'm struggling to read the events in august around his death. I was wondering if you would be able to shed some light on the days before and the day of his death please? I have tried but find the handwriting incredible hard to read. 

Extract from War diary for 57 Division, 172 Inf Brdg, Prince of Wales V (South Lanc Reg) 2/4th Battalion on August 1918 WO95/2985/8 is attached:-

One intriguing aspect is that he was from the Woolwich area and as far as I can see was not associated with Lancashire in any sense. Was it common for men of outside the area to join these type of units?

Any information you have on my Great Uncle would really help to solve this family mystery.

Kind Regards

Matt

August_1918_2&4th_Prince_of_wales_Volunteers_South_Lancashire_Regiment_WO95_2985_8.JPG

George William Marks.jpg

Hi Matt, I have found a transcription of the War Diary from the day George was killed. The article relates to another soldier but also gives a background as to the 2/4's movements beforehand. https://stoswaldbollington.org.uk/pages/war_dead_search_3.php?id=83

Hi,

Thanks for posting the link to the transcription of the war diary. It's really good to read what happened on the 28th of Aug 1918 which in turns helps with the quest for more information on George. Do you know any good books that will describe the battle he died in particularly his battalion?

Thanks

Matt

11 minutes ago, matt3smith said:

Hi,

Thanks for posting the link to the transcription of the war diary. It's really good to read what happened on the 28th of Aug 1918 which in turns helps with the quest for more information on George. Do you know any good books that will describe the battle he died in particularly his battalion?

Thanks

Matt

George was killed in the Battle of Scarpe, 1918, not to be confused with 1917. I can't recommend any books but there is a lot information online and I'm sure there are detailed accounts available. If you also look for the Hundred Days Offensive that may cover the battle. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Georges Medal Index Card, available on Fold3, as are the additional records mentioned, show he was posthumously awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. The two Pension Ledgers show his widow Annie Marks living at 37 All Saints Road, Gravesend, Kent with three sons, George, Ernest and Albert. The Army Registers of Effects records Annie Elizabeth Williams under 'To whom Authorised'. 

Edited by Gunner 87