Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

chinese labour corps

koyli

Can anyone help me.

I own a single bronze war medal to a member of the chinese labour corps.

The only identification is a number on the side of the medal.

Is it possible to find out anything about the owner, at all. I have no idea where to look.

Maybe someone could point me in the right dierction.

Koyli

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi,

A useful document about the Chinese Labour Corps is held at the National Archive formerly known as the PRO at Kew, reference WO 106/33 - the Recruitment & Organisation of the Chinese Labour Corps, which is essentially a broad history of the Corps.

I have never done look ups for the CLC, but have for the SANLC, and as their medal rolls are there, I am sure the CLCs are as well. I doubt there is an individual record for the owner but at least you will be able to identify him from the medal roll.

I have always wondered why CLC medals were inscribed with just a number - perhaps there were too many Lee's?

Ian

:)

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the information.

Now I know where to start looking at least.

Cheers.

Koyli

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

They were employed on fixed term civilian labouring contracts and were not allowed to serve closer than 10 miles from the front. A lot of them were used as dockers unloading supplies. In common with other Labour Corps units they were not armed.

Ivor Lee will be able to give you the definitive answer.

Ian

:)

Until recently CWGC did not have a complete record of the names of those Chinese Labour Corps who died although each headstone did bear their name - but in Chinese engraved by Chinese craftsmen.

For this reason, the old CWGC registers did not always list the CLC men by name.

Recently CWGC decided to rectify this oversight so that all CLC casualties could be listed in their database and had a Chinese speaker produce English versions of all their names. These now all appear in the database.

If anyone ever wants to check a Chinese headstone I have a copy of the complete list.

Ian - a slight underestimate.

There are approx 2000 dead Chinese Labour Corps on the CWGC database.

They are buried in Belgium (85), Canada (1), China (4), Egypt (1), France, Italy (1) & UK (18). The list includes a handful of Europeans.

The list excludes any 'Known Unto God' CLC casualties - if, indeed, there are any.

John

There is only one CLC in Etaples - possibly you were thinking of Les Baraques at Sangatte. There are other French cemeteries with hundreds of Chinese burials.

A good source on the CLC is Michael Summerskill China On the Western Front (1982). It is long out of print, but probably found somewhere on the Net.

Best web source seems to be CLC

It quotes (our own) Andrew Pittaway, and says that Noyelles-sur-Mer is the cemetery with most CLC men in, close to their depot. Reports 838 graves there.

You need to scroll over half way down a long page, or Edit, Find, Chinese will get you there quickly.

Reading the above posts I am impressed by the details (names on individual headstones) which seem to be available for the CLC who must have been very lucky in having had an efficient corps admin staff.

Alas this in sad contrast to the Egyptian L.C. of who's memorials the one at Ramleh seems to be typical. A single plot, with an inscription in Arabic and English. The latter reads:

"966 men of the Egyptian Labour Corps are buried near this spot."

No names, no dates.

Regards

Michael D.R.

It is interesting that the "Chinese" cemetery at Noyelles-sur-Mer is very popular with French visitors. During a half-hour visit on one occasion we saw perhaps 20 french visitors - the novelty and distinctive style mark it out to the French as an interesting site to visit and those visitors we saw showed a keen interest and appropriate respect.

Ivor, Something for you to cheer you up.

A Chinese Labour battalion embarking for service with the Allies

1918 photo 33

A Photo history of World War 1

Philip J Haythornthwaite

Christine

post-1-1055921674.jpg

and another-

"detachment of British -Indian labourers, photographed in France, wearing a somewhat incongruous mixture of of civilian and quasi-military clothing and equipment"

photo 34 1918

A photo history of World War 1; Philip J Haythornthwaite

post-1-1055922008.jpg

I recently discovered that my Great Uncle Harry served as a sergeant supervising Chinese labourers. He survived the war , no doubt in part due to this rather cushy billet that he found for himself. Perhaps my Grandfather an Old Contemptible cavalry man assisted him in recommending going for the CLC to protect Harry ,his younger brother , from the sad fate that befell 2 of his other brothers - perhaps a crash course in Mandarin before enlisting !

Stand To has a regular feature called 'The Camera Revists' (or somesuch); it show then and now shots of photos on the Western Front. A few years ago they published an excellent photo of the main square of Noyelles taken on Chinese New Year's Day The square was thronged with Chinese watching a typical procession with dragons ... paper ones, not real ones.

While looking through some information on Death Sentences passed during the Great War last week I stumbled across a list.

It noted 13 death sentences were passed on members of the CLC.

10 death sentences having been carried out.

All were found guilty of murder.

Geoff S

• 3 weeks later...