Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Flanders Fields/Passchendaele 1917

Soren

I know that all the Pals out there have probably read this years ago, but I'm a quarter the way through and am loving it!!

There was a reference to the war being 40 years ago, so I quess it's a well known book by now.

At present I feel Haig does not seem that bad, but having said that the battle itself has not commenced yet, and theres already been plenty of warnings about the delicate ground.

Also whilst reading it I started thinking about Lloyd George and how he was percieved by the nation, was it akin to Chuchill in WW2?

any way back to the front!

soren :)

Hi Soren,

An interesting post as I have picked up a lovely cheap copy of this a year or so ago but so far not read this one. Your thread has reminded me to fish this book out as I recall it is quite a slim volume and will deserve a good read very soon!

Cheers

Ryan

Soren,

Go back in time 25 years....(woo woo woo) a teenage boy at his grandfather's house--it's a quiet, hot summer day, and as he wanders by the bookshelf, bored, he notices a book; "In Flanders Fields." He picks it up, somewhat reluctantly, starts reading, and is hooked for the rest of his life!!

Paul

It was simply the start of many of our life-long interest ... regardless of it's historical interpretations now under "review" ... it is the original and very important. Didn't Leon Wolff fight in the Abraham Lincoln brigade of the Spanish Civil War? His attitude is always anti-governmental - but that's not a bad thing ...

It's getting better and better, if that's the right phrase to use?? I didn’t realise that the Germans cannibalised our tanks.....

At present I am now going to try and work on an image of the tank graveyard (17 in total at the end of the 1st day!!)

I'm reading this for the third time just now- I got my copy for a fiver in paperback. Definitely good value at that, a book that gives up new secrets with each read- the best kind of book in my opinion.

the losses are astounding..... Haig is now going right down in my opinion, the ground is terrible and had a history of being so, cant believe it was even considered..... :(