Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caesar (Safa-El-Bahr) transfers 1918 then Vivid III 1919

Mike Leishman

Hello,

Apologies up front for errors. I'm new to this! I also appreciate any help given.

I am not sure if I am over/misinterpreting my Grandfather's records, but I'd like to know if the 'Period of Service' dates refer to when a person was transferred 'on paper' rather than 'physically'? Am I right in thinking that the first named ship is the accounting base and the ship named in brackets is where he would have actually been serving?

If the second last ship on his service record is the 'Caesar' then I read, in a log transcript, that on Nov 16th 1918, 6 wireless ratings joined the ship from 'Egmont' and on 18th Nov 1918, 5 wireless ratings joined from 'Egmont'. I thought one might have been my Grandfather, but there isn't any indication of ratings leaving 'Caesar' at the end of December (31 Dec 1918 being the date entered under 'Period of Service') when it was in Constantinople. However, Yacht Safa-El-Bahr is mentioned on the 16th/17th Dec then again on 23rd Feb 1919.

Might it just be that 'Safa-El-Bahr' was assigned to 'Caesar' from 'Egmont', some time in Nov 1918, went with her to Constantinople then went on to Devonport, where my Grandfather may have disembarked, before returning to Constantinople?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Mike

LEISHMAN Robert 1900 Z9283.pdf

His service sheet shows that he remained with Safa-El-Bahr when it relocated from Malta (Egmont) to Constantinople (tendered to HMS Caesar, depot maintenance ship). He probably arrived there at same time as the rest of the Allied occupation fleet. A few months later he returned to Plymouth (Vivid) where he was demobbed.

MB

These docs are seldom written as clear as we might like, after wireless operator training at the RNVR Depot at Crystal Palace (Victory IV) he served with the Auxiliary Patrol, based at Lerwick, Shetland Islands (HMS Zaria). From there he was lucky enough to get drafted to the sunshine of Malta (Egmont), then posted aboard the former Egyptian Royal Yacht Safa-el-Bahr (then based at Malta) - thence on to Constantinople. The dittos are the confusing elements.

EGMONT 11 July 1918 - 25 October 1918

ditto (Safa-El-Bahr) 26 October 1918 - 31 October 1918

CAESAR (ditto) 1 November 1918 - 31 December 1918

You're right about the 'dittos'. I think everyone on 'Oyama' must have been pleased with the move! 

Bit of a 'left field' question. I'm guessing you've seen many service records. Was a tattooed ring on the middle finger, for a young person, a fashion of the day? Fashion has never been my thing and I'm too old to worry about it! His WWII RAFVR service record describes it as a tattoo. I've Googled it but it doesn't seem to come up.

Mike

I think your left field question is more likely to get answered on a tattoo forum rather than this one! Good luck with that one...

MB

I have looked at hundreds of Royal Naval Division Record Cards of Scottish recruits and, on the Physical Remarks section, many had notes of tattooed dots on their fingers.  Often wondered about them but reluctant to go down that particular rabbit hole.

• 1 month later...

Re: tattooed dots. I was looking at another ancestors service record, (attested 1883, aged 19, 3rd Hussars) and (as well as a couple of lions) he had 3 tattooed dots on his right hand and 5 on his left. Seems that tattoos showed up in many criminal/soldier/sailor records. I had another look on the web, and see quite a few GWF threads on dots and their possible meanings. I guess we can just put it down to being fashionable in Victorian days and a bit beyond.