Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Western Front: A History of the First World War by Nick Lloyd

ilkley remembers

Reviewed by Max Hastings in todays Sunday Times it is apparently the first of three volumes covering all the main theatres of the war. Not the most fulsome of reviews which sadly is behind a paywall but the final paragraph is here

Lloyd’s book will be cherished by military history buffs. It may not, however, satisfy those who seek to study the past in a wider context. Most 21st-century historians recognise the importance of social, political and above all economic forces, which are scarcely discussed here. The book is short on novelty and big ideas. If war is too important to be left to the generals, the best modern war history ranges far beyond their headquarters.

Actually it's a damn good piece of work, and 5 out 10 for Hastings review. If I had to recommend a book to anyone new to the war on the Western Front - or one wanting to find the current thinking on the Western Front with with genuine authorial drive this book is it  - grounded in serious research, analysis and judgement. It's not about social, political or economic forces, although they covered where relevant, it's about the war on the Western Front, as the cover strangely notes! Additionally political and economic consideration are covered - if not in detail - where relevant. While I wouldn't totally rubbish Falkland Max's review, others have certainly written better reviews. I would recommend the book, the research and the authorship very highly

The review in The Times on Thursday (repeated on Saturday) was very good. Sir Max couldn't bring himself to be nice without caveats about anyone else's book. He probably has researchers working on a bigger, better production as we speak.

Incidentally, the book is quite large (700 pages?) and £25, but Amazon have it at around £18 for pre-order at present.

I presume that Nick Lloyd was chosen for this project on the back of his well regarded and highly readable ‘Passchendaele;  A New History’. Not having read his latest offering my first reaction was to question why Viking felt that there was a need to add to the vast canon of works dedicated to this subject and what new insights Lloyd is going to bring to this well trodden path. In his review, Hastings, doesn’t really shed any light on this which for him is not unusual. My opinions of his scholarship are generally not of the highest and in particular thought ‘Catastrophe’, somewhat poor fare.

Nevertheless, that final paragraph of which is reproduced above, does, at least to me, raise an interesting issue about the direction which the study of WW1 is moving. Certainly I would aver that the academic study of the war is increasingly embracing what Hastings calls the “social, political and above all the economic forces” (to which I would add cultural); an ascending theme that seems to be driving a narrative diverging from ‘traditional battlefield analysis.

MR I R

My initial reaction was the same  - added to the fact that it has missed the the Great War Memorial Book fest, to which I would add that the books great strength is the author's narrative drive and that is far more than a traditional battlefield analysis and great value at the Amazon price.

Regards

David

17 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

I presume that Nick Lloyd was chosen for this project on the back of his well regarded and highly readable ‘Passchendaele;  

I found his book on Loos to be excellent.

Regarding Sir Max, I recently read his book on the Dam Busters (Chastise); it's the first of his books I have managed to complete for some years and, like his reviews, it was hard going and ultimately unrewarding.

As for Lloyd's book, I have pre-ordered it on Amazon so on the 4th March, or thereabouts, I can see for myself.

A flyer from the National Army Museum  caught my eye.

There is going to be a webinar, a kind of zoom event, in which Nick Lloyd will be discussing this new book of his with Jonathan Boff.

If memory serves me, it’s going to be pitched on 5th March, in the evening, and those wishing to participate will be charged £5 for the privilege.

I’ll fork out the money : it’ll be interesting and informative, I think, well worth the price of a pint.

After the talk, I’ll decide whether to buy the book.

Phil

On 21/02/2021 at 09:58, David Filsell said:

Actually it's a damn good piece of work, and 5 out 10 for Hastings review. If I had to recommend a book to anyone new to the war on the Western Front - or one wanting to find the current thinking on the Western Front with with genuine authorial drive this book is it  - grounded in serious research, analysis and judgement. It's not about social, political or economic forces, although they covered where relevant, it's about the war on the Western Front, as the cover strangely notes! Additionally political and economic consideration are covered - if not in detail - where relevant. While I wouldn't totally rubbish Falkland Max's review, others have certainly written better reviews. I would recommend the book, the research and the authorship very highly

Without having read the whole review, it seems as if it's one of those instances where a reviewer dings the work not because it's poor as presented, but because the reviewer thinks the author should have written something entirely different. I frequently come across this type of response in my own field (not military or any other sort of history). My reaction is that if reviewers disagree with the topic as written, then they should write a book along those lines themselves, not criticize an author for doing what she/he set out to do. 

Anyway, it looks like it should be an excellent book. I've already enjoyed and learned much from Nick Lloyd's other works.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Sunday Tottygraph has what can only be termed a fulsome review by Simon Heffer ('... magisterial...' '...epic...' '...exhaustive...'). Heffer also notes that two further volumes are due: one covering the Eastern Front and the other dealing with the sideshows. Having received my copy on Friday, I must say that a first skim through makes me feel that Volumes 2 and 3 will be, as Mr Heffer suggests, 'keenly awaited'.

An aside on Amazon: I pre-ordered (publication was 4th March); cover price is £25 and the pre-order was a little over £18. I then received an email from Amazon informing me that the price had changed and I would be charged, in fact, a little over £16. So, the book ended up costing me nearly £9 below list price. As we have Prime membership, P&P cost a small proportion of that - pennies, probably.

Given previous experience of Lloyd's books, I am very much looking forward to reading this one. What a shame Sir Max Hastings has to be such a dog in a manger in his reviews. Actually, I think he's just a dog in a manger: his own books display the same unfortunate tendency.

Last night I watched that NAM feature with a live discussion between Nick Lloyd and Jonathan Boff.

It cost me a fiver.

Worth every penny.

I immediately went to Amazon and downloaded the book onto my kindle, for the cost of £12.99, if memory serves me.

This is where I start to regret that I didn't pay a few quid more and buy the hardback.  It's so much more gratifying to enjoy the texture and substance of a book, especially where maps are concerned.  My shelves are so overburdened now, that's what gives me pause.  It's also great to carry the kindle around in my pocket .

No matter, though....the book is something of a triumph, I think.

Phil

Just finished reading ‘ The Western Front’. Excellent book giving an in-depth overview of current thinking on the war in the west. Informative, detailed and yet an easy read.

Don’t think I learnt anything new but gained a renewed respect for the French army which can be a bit overlooked in many British military histories. 
Book rejuvenated my fading interest in WW1 and may even lead to yet another trip to France and Belgium when Covid restrictions lifted.

I'm between a quarter and a third the way through and I am enjoying it tremendously. 

Does what it says " on the tin"....and does it very well.

Not breaking new ground in what it tells us, but definitely breaking new ground in how it tells us.

Things coalesce, the dots join up.

Like you, Steven, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Just over 20% registered as read on my kindle, and I can't wait to carry on.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Well, having finished it and had a chance to ponder, and then revisit a few things, I can still fully recommend it.

In particular, the coverage of the issues facing the generals and politicians, and the detailed reporting of the French, German and American effort is quite beyond any other single-volume book I have seen. Additionally, the coverage is very fair: no-one comes in for a one-sided slating, and in places a real sympathy for the generals shows through. I would defy anyone to read Lloyd's reporting of the death of Castelnau's second son without a lump in the throat.

Definitely one to read.

I see that he regurgitates the Operation Gericht - Place of execution nonsense.

On 05/04/2021 at 12:28, Gareth Davies said:

I see that he regurgitates the Operation Gericht - Place of execution nonsense.

Gareth,

Help me out here, please.

A kind of brain fog afflicts me : it’s as if my mind is buffering and unable to recollect.....perhaps I’ve read too much and it’s not sticking.

I enjoyed Nick Lloyd’s book.  On kindle it doesn’t invite the same enthusiasm to revisit as it does in book form.  I’m right in the middle of Boff’s book on Rupprecht of Bavaria, Haig’s Enemy, and daren’t abandon it right now.

Does Lloyd endorse Falknehayn’s Christmas Memorandum, which some historians dismiss as an invention made after the event ?

Is that what you mean by “ nonsense” ?

Phil

The nonsense I refer to is to suggest that gericht means place of execution. It appears to have been taken, unreferenced, from someone who also took it, unreferenced, from someone else. It's a cheap headline.

Thanks Gareth.

Place of Judgement is another meaning that I think I’ve seen attributed.

One thing that was missed out by Nick Lloyd was any mention of the Canadian attack at Lens/Hill 70 in August 1917.

That was a significant omission.

I must check to see if he mentioned Petain’s brilliant offensive at Malmaison.

Editing here : there wasn’t much new that I learned from Nick Lloyd’s book, but I  can honestly say that it gave me a better appreciation of the Great War on the Western Front.  That’s really quite something.  Boff’s book on Rupprecht of Bavaria has really broken new ground for me.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

On 07/04/2021 at 10:19, phil andrade said:

Thanks Gareth.

Place of Judgement is another meaning that I think I’ve seen attributed.

Phil

I'd just translate it as "court" (as in law court).