Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German postcard - Reservist?

Hickman

I recently acquired several Great War era postcards, three of which are German. This one I found very interesting, as the soldier looks middle aged. A Reserve member? It looks like he has an M71 bayonet. On the back it indicates that the photo studio was in Munich. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

7A7B8107-F8AC-45A2-9D60-F8CF9E65E3D1.jpeg

Hello. If this soldier was a member of a reserve regiment then the letter R would be over the number. The regiment could well be the Royal Bavarian 1st Infantry Regiment 'King' or in German Kgl. Bayer. 1. Infanterie-Regiment Konig

Edited by Gunner 87

23 minutes ago, Hickman said:

I recently acquired several Great War era postcards, three of which are German. This one I found very interesting, as the soldier looks middle aged. A Reserve member? It looks like he has an M71 bayonet. On the back it indicates that the photo studio was in Munich. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

7A7B8107-F8AC-45A2-9D60-F8CF9E65E3D1.jpeg

Is it Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment No 1 (Munich)?

Just now, derekb said:

Is it Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment No 1 (Munich)?

Ooops!

I have added this comment to the thread to alert @P.B.and @GreyC who will almost certainly be able to assist. 

It's Bavarian artillery in my opinion, possibly Landsturm? There was not always an "R", "L" or "+" above the unit number.

Jan

12 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

It's Bavarian artillery in my opinion, possibly Landsturm? There was not always an "R", "L" or "+" above the unit number.

Jan

Hi Jan, I am no expert but very interested in this thread. Would an artillery Pickelhaube not have a ball as opposed to a spike, as on the attached, belonging to a Bavarian Reserve Artillery Officer.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 18.54.53.png

Bavarian artillery didn't wear Kugelhelme, at least not early in the war. I believe these helmets were only later introduced in Bavaria.

4 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Bavarian artillery didn't wear Kugelhelme, at least not early in the war. I believe these helmets were only later introduced in Bavaria.

Thanks Jan, that's very informative.