Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sold out of service

ZIL

Yes, its the same as a library getting rid of a book where it is stamped "Withdrawn".   A line through the broad arrow does have its limitations. An Uncle of mine was a Foreman Toolmaker in the naval dockyard at Devonport- he made tools down to the broad arrow . But he also had the capacity to do the strike through to show it had been legitimately got rid of. You may be able to spot a small loophole in this way of doing things. Nuff Said.

12 minutes ago, ZIL said:

Thank you for the confirmation..Regards Zil

Zil, have a look at the British Militaria Forum, mostly Victorian and earlier but lots of info, opinions and examples of "sold out of service"

For small arms and related items, stamp SA No.23 was opposing broad arrows denoting sale from Imperial Stock. 

(On a cartridge case the same symbol was used to mean Condemned - stamp GAC No.8.)

Sale mark.jpg

Thank you both...I’ll certainly have a look on the Forum...The information on small arms etc is again very useful and adds once again to my knowledge.The Forum continues to amaze me with the depth of knowledge.Regards Zil

In the case of firearms or binoculars, it shows that the item has left government control legitimately, and that the user is not in possession of stolen public property.  

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, its the same as a library getting rid of a book where it is stamped "Withdrawn".   A line through the broad arrow does have its limitations. An Uncle of mine was a Foreman Toolmaker in the naval dockyard at Devonport- he made tools down to the broad arrow . But he also had the capacity to do the strike through to show it had been legitimately got rid of. You may be able to spot a small loophole in this way of doing things. Nuff Said.

As the saying goes “It’s a big firm!”.

3 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

As the saying goes “It’s a big firm!”.

Certainly was-20,000 in the dockyard when I was a kid-plus another 20,000 paid-up members of the Grey Funnel Line and plenty of army as well.

• 1 year later...

Just browsing the forum and landed here... 

Pre-war the mark was used by Australia to signify the purchase of stores (most notably small arms) from Britain.

717227197_ScreenShot2022-10-27at9_06_11pm.png.e4248626be802efe176d59cedc2c41e0.png

Dan

6 hours ago, Fromelles said:

Just browsing the forum and landed here... 

Pre-war the mark was used by Australia to signify the purchase of stores (most notably small arms) from Britain.

717227197_ScreenShot2022-10-27at9_06_11pm.png.e4248626be802efe176d59cedc2c41e0.png

Dan

I believe they were stamped before shipment to indicate they were no longer British Government property 

Thank you…That makes sense ,it also gives a prospective buyer an indication that the seller has not aquired the item by dubious means.I appreciate that such markings can be replicated by third parties other than officials as previously indicated.Zil

On 19/02/2021 at 13:51, Guest said:

Stolen out of service :innocent: