Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Communities of Resistance by Cyril Pearce

IanA

Cyril Pearce is known on this forum for his database and book 'Comrades in Conscience'. His latest book is nothing less than a tour de force. Published by Francis Boutle Publishers (ISBN 978 1 8380928 25) it describes, in impressive detail, the varied religious and political groups opposing the war in general and conscription in particular. 'Hot Spots' like Bristol and Croydon, and 'Heartlands' such as Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire receive comprehensive coverage while the somewhat bewildering array of organisations aiding and defending conscientious objectors are described in detail. The obtuseness and blinkered attitudes of tribunals, the brutality of certain regiments and the ordeals of those refusing to acknowledge military authority makes fascinating, if uncomfortable reading. Well illustrated, its 556 pages form what must be the definitive work on this subject. Reviewers of note describe it as "An astonishing piece of scholarship", "An essential reference point", "The movement's encyclopedia" and "A model of the best of historical study". Who am I to disagree?

17 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

G'Day Ian,

Have you the title of the new book please?

Regards

David J Filsell

Hi David - as in the title of the thread - 'Communities of Resistance' :rolleyes::D

Ian

The book has been on my radar for a few weeks and after excessive book purchasing over the festive period had decided to leave buying it till Easter. However, the excellent reviews have rather whetted my appetite so it looks like it will be purchased sooner rather than later. It will complement Subversive Peacemakers; War resistance 1914-1918 An Anglican perspective by Clive Barrett of the Bradford Peace Museum which I finished a fortnight ago.