Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying soldier’s uniform

EditIM

This photo came from a family member but I have been unable to identify the uniform or the man’s unit. Can any member help with information? Thanks 

image.jpeg

Thank you. Would it be First World War do you think? He looks very smart in the white dress jacket so I wondered if it was pre-war.

Hi EditiM. There is an almost identical one for sale online that is stamped, and which the site, explains is Gor for Gordon Highlanders and 10 / 13 for October 1913. The date by the manufacturers name, Royal Army Clothing Co, Jan 1912. These White Undress Drill Jackets were continued to be worn by the Guards and Highland Regiments after they were no longer issued to other line infantry regiments. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Thank you. I just wish I could find out who he was. The photo was given to my late mother by a cousin in Canada who said he was a family member but sadly with no further details.

9 minutes ago, EditIM said:

Thank you. I just wish I could find out who he was. The photo was given to my late mother by a cousin in Canada who said he was a family member but sadly with no further details.

Does the photo have any writing on the back?

8 minutes ago, EditIM said:

Unfortunately not. 🙁

Just to confirm the regiment, in addition to the badge on the soldiers Glengarry, the sporran is also that of the Gordon Highlanders. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 17.01.53.png

16 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi EditiM. There is an almost identical one for sale online that is stamped, and which the site, explains is Gor for Gordon Highlanders and 10 / 13 for October 1913. The date by the manufacturers name, Royal Army Clothing Co, Jan 1912. These White Undress Drill Jackets were continued to be worn by the Guards and Highland Regiments after they were no longer issued to other line infantry regiments. 

It’s true that the Guards and Highlanders (including the primarily trews clad HLI) wore ‘shell jackets’ (i.e. short, waist length) for many decades after they had been discontinued by other infantry, but the white type seen here was only ever worn by the regiment’s that retained them.  Generally worn for “Drill Order”, they were perhaps most associated with the routines concerned with preparing and practising for public duties and ceremonial in the palaces and castles of England and Scotland.

CA07680C-7CAB-42C3-8C84-DC401CCBABCC.jpeg

9FAD1AEC-2026-45E6-B557-CC7506C1E399.jpeg

85AB491A-E7FA-4487-A3E3-1AD56EB3F2CB.jpeg

F167096B-C649-4592-86E5-5F0F142F4EA0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 minutes ago, EditIM said:

Thank for the info.

I’m glad to help, see the colour image below to get an idea of the full eyeball appearance.

Notice than in the enclosed photo the Gordon’s drummer has in addition to his arm badge denoting a side drum, a thin line of drummers lace (this is the thinner of two types) tracing the seams on his sleeves and also forming a trefoil knot decoration on the cuffs.  This appears to have been a regimental idiosyncrasy, as I have not noticed anything similar for other highland regiments.

NB.  “Drill Order” was used for many types of training and not just marching practice.  It was in effect a form of working dress and keeping it clean was a time consuming and onerous process.

6D0023EB-86C7-4B23-9C92-1E0681BCD7E2.jpeg

786F981C-BBBD-41B1-A088-4D4B2DE0B07A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, EditIM said:

Lovely photos, thanks.

He has a whangee (type of cane favoured in the East) swagger stick under his arm, which suggests that he’d previously served with the Gordon’s battalion based overseas (one battalion was usually at home and one overseas).  The swagger cane was a requirement for soldiers to carry when “walking-out” of barracks, which was a privilege that had to be earned and not an entitlement.  In 1914 the 2nd Battalion was garrisoned in Cairo, Egypt.

9A67F9AC-A076-453B-8364-3D203073B3B7.jpeg

5A141B69-ECCF-4EF5-8107-0C6B920E1905.jpeg

94F9323F-B4FF-450F-B4A9-C1733A80E61B.jpeg

95CE5B54-9105-4B44-AE51-E455BEF1559C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

He appears to have suffered fairly serious burn and possibly crushing injuries to both hands . Cannot be certain because of the angle but he may have lost one and possibly two fingers from his left hand.

I would date the original photo to the 1908 - 1914 window. The leather edged glengarry began to appear in 1908.  The white (drill) jacket was withdrawn from general service by the Highland regiments at the onset of the war in 1914.  After the war they reappeared only in the pipes and drums plus military bands.