Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buffs? Postcard

twinottercaptain

After just retiring and starting to get back into many hobbies and generally cleaning up, I came across a post card I got many years ago. I'm hoping some of you eagle eyed members out there can confirm it's a Buffs card. I would be appreciative of any further dissection of uniforms or insignia that we can perhaps glean a bit more information. I see a few Seargeant and Corporal stripes. Are other's just enlisted men or any officers? I don't see any ribbons, though not sure they would be on this uniform, so pre-1914? All comments and observations welcome.

Thanks in advance.

img441.jpg

Yes Buffs it is, possibly a pre war summer camp for the 1/4th or 1/5th Bns - a number of them are sporting T/?/BUFFS shoulder titles. Corporal is a PT instructor and front centre seated is sporting a Drummer's arm badge (along with a somewhat bizarre lanyard). A number of different pattern tunics and buttons and only four have fags hanging out of their chops.

25 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Yes Buffs it is, possibly a pre war summer camp for the 1/4th or 1/5th Bns - a number of them are sporting T/?/BUFFS shoulder titles. Corporal is a PT instructor and front centre seated is sporting a Drummer's arm badge (along with a somewhat bizarre lanyard). A number of different pattern tunics and buttons and only four have fags hanging out of their chops.

It must be a wartime shot Jay - all the men are wearing the belt off the 1914 Pattern Equipment, and several of the men are wearing the "Simplified" version of the SD jacket, neither of which existed prior to late 1914.

Just now, Andrew Upton said:

It must be a wartime shot Jay - all the men are wearing the belt off the 1914 Pattern Equipment, and several of the men are wearing the "Simplified" version of the SD jacket, neither of which existed prior to late 1914.

Thanks for that Andrew, it’s about time I spent some time with uniforms...

I guess we should include the 2nd and 3rd Line TF battalions.

The "bizzare lanyard "worn by the drummer in the front row are bugle cords.