Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

APPLETON PUZZLE

GROBBY

Hi can anyone help me with a puzzle I have .I am researching a Sidney Charles Appleton born 15th January 1888 in Colchester Essex I have found only one Sidney Charles Appleton born in Essex in the 1880s and he married Edith M Humphrey in 1913  and joined the RFC on 1.6.16 .Im  OK so far but found an Appleton joining the 1st Battalion Essex Regiment in 1904 also from Essex and being in Quetta India in 1911 .This also might be ok but then I found a newspaper report of 1915 .Is this the same man and he is a bigamist or is it a different man. He didnt divorce and Edith M Appleton didnt die until 1930. Could I find anything from the injurys1080092073_Screenshot_2021-02-13TheBritishNewspaperArchivefindmypastcouk.png.3da1f6dec41a6f6261a3f6a52e0956a3.png

Looking at the pension records #8272 applied for a pension under that number in 1919, no mention of service other than the Essex.

Looks like two different men to me.

Craig

Lily was Lily Brown and he married her in Newcastle Under Lyme in 1934 after his first wife died .What I could not understand is that  i can only find one Sidney Charles Appleton  around 1888 in Essex and cant find another anywhere in the 1891 1901 censuses born around that date and only one in the 1911 census and he is in the 1st batt Essex Regiment in India 

There are two Sydney Charles Appleton.

They are both in 1911 census

One is the carpenter living in Colchester

The other is with Essex Reg. he was born 1887 in Jenkinstown, Essex

This link gives you 1911 census sin Ancestry with both men - click for link

Thank you for showing this to me as my 1911 on Find My Past only gives one . I cannot see the Ancestry without paying but I shall try other routes to find it now I know its there Thank you all again

8 minutes ago, corisande said:

One is the carpenter living in Colchester

The RFC man was a woodwork instructor in civilian life according to his record.

Craig

The birthplace of the Essex Regt man is difficult to find. Ancestry transcribes the 1911 census as Jenkinstown, Essex (which is clearly wrong) and FmP transcribes it as Parkinstow, which is closer to the truth, but still apparently wrong (ie I cannot find it in Essex)

This is the place on the original

essex.jpg.214904aacf4a92a69fafad552a19cdd0.jpg

Essex is unknown land to me, perhaps someone with local knowledge can venture as to where this is

1 hour ago, corisande said:

This is the place on the original

essex.jpg.214904aacf4a92a69fafad552a19cdd0.jpg

Essex is unknown land to me, perhaps someone with local knowledge can venture as to where this is

Looking at the letter formation and comparing the last letter to other places on the census page, then I don’t think it’s a lower case “w”. Line 10 has a man born “Bow”, while the entry on line 23 is for a “John Barlow”. Both share the same letter formation.

But it also isn’t a lower case “m” like “Ingram” on line 6. I’m leaning toward it being “n”.

First letter as a capital “P” seems more plausible – there are close proximities to it in the many “Private”’s written on the page.

The letter after the “k” isn’t necessarily an “i” – there are plenty of examples all over the page and while some of the dots get orphaned over an adjoining letter, none are so high on the line. I think it’s a flaw, or a piece of dust on the scanner.

212135366_SidneyCharlesAppletonEssexRegt1911CensusschedulesourcedGenesReunited.jpg.71f4bb51e113472dcfe74a3118338591.jpg

(Image sourced courtesy Genes Reunited)

Which keeps leading me back in my mind to “Parkeston”, which is adjacent to Harwich and is where the ferry to Holland actually sails from.

Cheers,

Peter

1911 Census of England & Wales

Of the two men  -

Private Sidney Charles Appleton, aged 24, 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment, born “Parkinstow”, in barracks at Quetta, Baluchistan.

The second individual is transcribed on the source I’m using as “Seling” Charles Appleton, and if anything, looking more like “Selwyn” Charles Appleton, aged 23 and a Carpenter & Joiner, born Colchester, he was recorded living at 24 Errington Road, Colchester. This was the household of parents George, (50, Builder, born Great Braxsted, Essex), and Emma, (46, born Great Totham, Essex). The couple have been married 26 years and have had 7 children, of which 4 were then still alive.

The marriage of a George Appleton to an Emma Burns was recorded in the Maldon District of Essex in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1884.

The birth of a Sidney Charles Appleton, mothers’ maiden name “Burnes”, was registered with the Civil Authorities in the Colchester District in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1888.

Cheers,

Peter

Think it may be Maries Stow- a reversal of the more usual Stow Maries, where there was an RFC base in the Great War- It is south of Maldon but in that registration district

11 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Think it may be Maries Stow- a reversal of the more usual Stow Maries, where there was an RFC base in the Great War- It is south of Maldon but in that registration district

Hmmm.

I'm inclined to go with PRC.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hmmm.

I'm inclined to go with PRC.

Thats OK, DB- we at the metropolitan end of Essex only have one name for the other end-wilderness.

A list of the civil parishes covered by the Maldon Civil Registration District at the time can be seen here https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/maldon.html

Strangely the birth places of both the father and mother of the other man both fall within the Maldon District.

18 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

This looks to be the 1887 birth
image.png

Mothers' maiden name Finch. The only likely marriage I could see in England & Wales using Genes Reunited and familysearch is that of a William Alfred Appleton to an Emma Finch, recorded in the Rochford District of Essex, Q1 1874. I can find a William and Emma all the way through to the 1911 Census, although there they state they have only been married 32 years, not 37, and of their 5 children, only 3 were still alive. But when I investigate their other children, the mothers' maiden name is shown as "Cottis" and they have a daughter Elizabeth, born Q4 1887.

Elsewhere in the Maldon District on the 1891 Census of England & Wales there is a "4" year old Charles Appleton, born Tolleshunt Major, Essex, who was recorded living in a dwelling on Church Street, Goldhanger, Essex. This was the household of his parents John, (aged 32, an Agricultural Labourer, born Goldhanger), and Emma, (aged 29, born Tolleshunt Major). His other siblings living with him are the 6 year old Edward, (Edward William Appleton, Maldon District Q3 1884, mothers' maiden name Finch), the 5 year old Arthur, (Arthur Appleton, Maldon District Q1 1886, mothers' maiden name Finch), the 3 year old Alan, (Alan Appleton, Maldon District Q4 1888, mothers' maiden name Finch) - all born Tolleshunt Major, and the 1 year old Frank, born Goldhanger, (Frank Appleton, Maldon District Q1 1890, mothers' maiden name Finch).

And this is where the old maxim comes in to check and check again. There is a marriage of a John Appleton recorded in the Maldon District in Q4 1883 in the Genes Reunited and familysearch sources, but it is not clear who he married. A check of all the individuals from the same page on FreeBMD brings up -

2062844407_JohnAppleton1883marriageMaldonDistrictsourcedFreeBMD.png.8efdbbd280f42b56a1bae14daf526f67.png

(Image courtesy FreeBMD)

Charles is not recorded living with them on either the 1901 or 1911 Censuses of England & Wales. On the 1911 Census John & Eliza state that of their 12 children, 1 had died. May be a co-incidence, but the death of a 12 year old Charles Appleton was recorded in the Maldon District in Q3 1899. It's not conclusive - 7 of the 11 living children were living with their parents on the 1911 Census, leaving four to be accounted for and so prove the deceased child was Charles, or perhaps there will be a newspaper report of the death, but at this point I would have to think it was a very strong probability.

On that basis I think the Charles Appleton whose birth was registered in the Maldon District in Q2 1887 can be discounted.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

14 hours ago, PRC said:

Which keeps leading me back in my mind to “Parkeston”, which is adjacent to Harwich and is where the ferry to Holland actually sails from.

Cheers,

Peter

Fully agree with this- lurking at the back of my mind  overnight.  (Along with the alleged sign at Liverpool Street-"Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the........" ).  I am away from it but have you tried the Essex births, marriages,deaths,baptisms, etc on Ancestry-done through Essex Record Office.?  4 million entries- much be a clue in there somewhere!!

The Essex Regt man was not born Sidney Charles Appleton, he used it to enlist. He was born Henry Charles V Appleton in Parkeston, Essex. The place he gave in 1911 census while serving in India

He reverts to Henry Charles Appleton after WW1, and is in 1939 register as such. The 1939 register also gives his old Essex no as 8272 where he served 14 years. Look that up and you find his MIC for S Appleton

His army enlistment as Sidney Appleton  in 1904 gives his father and his address

1904.jpg.363f38a6966bbc356e7cdeb72380449e.jpg

Go to 1901 census for 7 Adelaide St and you get

1901census.jpg.41fc9d3152e554105f15cfce0ee7f5b2.jpg

cross check with FreeBMD

Births Dec 1887   (>99%)
Appleton  Henry Charles V    Tendring  4a 501

btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Edited by corisande

Thank you for your hard work . The Sidney Charles Appleton I am researching I think is the 63 Winchester road Colchester man as both he his father and his brother were all Carpenter Joiners and the birthdate is right .My confusion was that I only had one S C Appleton  and records that didnt match especialy the marriages and army records