Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather's Naval Service

sheila W

Good afternoon

Hoping someone will be able to help me with some questions I have about my Grandfather's time as a stoker and stoker PO in the Navy. from1904 to1919.

I started researching because I think I remember my mother saying he was on submarines but I cant find any submarines listed in the service record.

My queries are

• there is an entry from March 15 to Nov 17 which I think is  Tyne TB33 12.   I though this could be a torpedo boat TB33, which according to the Pink list was operating in the Firth of Forth
  • According to the service record, he was at HMS Tamar, the shore base in Hong Kong in April 1911, but on the census he is listed as being on HMS Dart (China). 

Thanks for reading and any enlightenment you might be able to offer.

Sheila

HB.PNG

3 minutes ago, sheila W said:

Tyne TB33 12.   I though this could be a torpedo boat TB33

Yes TB 33 parented by HMS TYNE.. The "12" belongs to the List column and confirms that he was borne for service in a tender (TB 33) which did not carry its own accounts. The same goes for Wallington and (Waveney).

22 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Yes TB 33 parented by HMS TYNE.. The "12" belongs to the List column and confirms that he was borne for service in a tender (TB 33) which did not carry its own accounts. The same goes for Wallington and (Waveney).