Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers uniform

Stevejm

My latest project is researching the military service of my great grandfather, Ernest Mead who served with the 12th ( later 6th) Btn Lancs Fusiliers. We have this photo of him ( he is on the right) that we believe was taken when he was home on leave in Aug/September 1918 and I wondered if anyone can advise the meaning of the epaulette lanyard that he is wearing.

Ernest Mead 2.jpg

Edited by Stevejm
correction

• Admin

I think (though I am very happy to be corrected) that the lanyard was attached to a clasp knife.

Michelle 

Michelle is correct as she so often is.  The lanyard was generally attached to the issue clasp knife, which soldiers were ordered to keep in their top left pocket.

It is just about possible to discern the Lancashire Fusiliers shoulder title. 

9CC87BA6-E46C-41D2-8AB3-6EBD68D98D30.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Thanks to both of you for your prompt replies. Mystery solved! I presume that the knife could be released for use

The lanyard was quite long when issued Steve, but many men shortened it by plaiting or weaving.  It was quite straightforward to unfasten it from the shoulder for use.

Images courtesy of the Imperial War Museum.

2DB40EAA-3DC5-475F-B6D0-29B32CA6EFBD.jpeg

FDBC6705-1594-48F0-908E-C3FABAE0311E.jpeg

ADBFDE85-7CFF-40F2-9DF1-71217152E772.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Brilliant. Thanks for the info again. Fortunately Ernest survived the war after serving in Salonika then France otherwise I wouldn't be here!

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

Brilliant. Thanks for the info again. Fortunately Ernest survived the war after serving in Salonika then France otherwise I wouldn't be here!

Yes I think that quite a large chunk of those who frequent this forum can say the same thing Steve.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I have been assuming that the photo was taken whilst on leave in England because according to his record he was promoted to sergeant on 3rd August 1918 and he went on leave on 31st August but I also wonder whether the the photo was taken in France. Any clues from the uniform? There is no photographer's info on the back of the original photo just the number 1134. Any thoughts would be appreciated

6 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I have been assuming that the photo was taken whilst on leave in England because according to his record he was promoted to sergeant on 3rd August 1918 and he went on leave on 31st August but I also wonder whether the the photo was taken in France. Any clues from the uniform? There is no photographer's info on the back of the original photo just the number 1134. Any thoughts would be appreciated

The photo has more of a home look to it.  A majority of photos taken in France and Flanders seem to have been taken in improvised studios, often outdoors, and usually with a more disheveled appearance, including gas mask haversacks, or other field dress. It’s not possible to be 100% certain but they look a bit too pristine to be overseas.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The photo has more of a home look to it.  A majority of photos taken in France and Flanders seem to have been taken in improvised studios, often outdoors, and usually with a more disheveled appearance, including gas mask haversacks, or other field dress. It’s not possible to be 100% certain but they look a bit too pristine to be overseas.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply