Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attestation questions

tootrock

On the Attestation form one of the questions (different numbers on different forms) is "Are you willing to be vaccinated or re-vaccinated?" What would this vaccination be against, and what would be the outcome of answering "No" to this question?

Similarly on later forms there is a question "Are you willing to be enlisted for General Service?".

What would be the result of a negative answer?

Martin

Typhoid.

Technically Typhoid A + B, referred to as TAB.

http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/3430/1/3430.pdf

There were anti vaxxers even in those days!

I think refuseniks at least initially weren't moved out to High risk areas, I'm not sure.

Edit: The initial Typhoid vaccine was TV, TAB came in 1916.

Refuseniks weren't sent overseas in 1914.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

A soldier that I have been researching who refused to be re-vacinated was discharged for being incorrectly enlisted. Later was successful in enlisting in a different regiment.

Courtesy of Find my past

image.png.b27c8e1fa5b4c564df0dfe095ff972a3.png

DBS- Following on from that -  I suppose we must ask whether there was any real element of "choice" in 1914 or before.  There would be little point in setting down such a choice unless there were practical outcomes dependent on varying answers. The Attestation Form was,after all,the key document in the army's relation with a soldier- in effect, its contract and,thus, like any "contract",one that imposed conditions and obligations on both parties.

That said, it does pose the question as to whether this situation changed with the Military Service Acts of 1916 et al-  Did they override a man's objections to being vaccinated?   The anti-vax campaigns went back to at least the middle of the Nineteenth Century and were inherently bound up not only with the straightline efficacy of such vaccines but also a jigsaw-bit in the spectrum of personal liberties against the state- the anti-vaxers were consistently those also involved in libertarian groups.

I have a local casualty, Captain Duncan Beresford Tuck  who was a Christian Scientist and therefore against vaccination on principle-but consented on his commission application to it, if it was neccessary.  

Interesting. The Vaccination Act 1898 allowed for conscientious  objection.   Some pre-war figures:

1905 - 44,369

1906 - 53, 828      

1907  - 72,709

1908 - 160,350

1909 - 197,342    

1910  - 230, 947

TR