Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Cyrillic trench art

Sgt Stripes

Can anyone identify which country this cigarette case came from. Its possibly Bulgarian, Russian or Serbian. It has five coins, one of which resembles a British farthing. Thanks in advance. 

IMG-20210204-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210204-WA0009.jpg

The pierced Russian lettering, На память Воине, I think means "To remember the warrior." The engraved letters are Ф and Б, F and B - initials?

As well as what looks like a George V farthing there is a 5 pfennig (German) and a 10 centimes (French), so I'm willing to bet that the coin with the lion is either Russian or Austro-Hungarian. The crown above the anchor may have the five-fold cross of Jerusalem in the centre panel, but I don't know what that would mean.

And that's where I stick!

Many Thanks Seajane for the Translation . I had a go but got no where. What throws me is the anchor on the coin.  The cigarette case is a mystery with only the Cyrillic writing pointing to the country the person came from. 

Sorry but no lion on Russian or Austrian numismatic of this period but double headed eagle ( Doppeladler). I prefer to guess on Bulgaria ...or Belgium. What is strange is the lack of a crown on lion's head.

Gabelou 

35 minutes ago, Gabelou said:

I prefer to guess on Bulgaria ...or Belgium

You were right with Belgium, 25 centimes 1918.

Belgian coin.jpg

I think the crown and anchor is a seal, not a coin (nor a button), from the way the devices are engraved. 

Absolutely fantastic tracking down the Belgium coin. Never thought of Belgium. Thank You.   

Congratualion seaJane  for finding exactctly the good coin. The tail with 2 appendices  is typical from Belgian lion and use of zink means second part of WW1.  

Now the po'nt is the navy seal. The crown is from imperial German navy with pendants. Same symbol in German imperial units : gendarmerie... and navy.

8 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Can anyone identify which country this cigarette case came from. Its possibly Bulgarian, Russian or Serbian. It has five coins, one of which resembles a British farthing. Thanks in advance.

IMG-20210204-WA0008.jpg

That looks very much like a Russian/Bulgarian/Serbian etc orthodox crown.

Serbian navy? (Although the rope goes the wrong way....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_River_Flotilla

serbia.jpg.bd24c6d677b745e216fe994ce971d919.jpg

and the little photo above: the King of Serbia?  It's not Nicolas II of Russia, that's for sure. And doesn't look like the King of Bulgaria (He liked to dress up...)

Crown looks like the imperial State crown of Germany.

Edwin

image.png

I've had both the Imperial German Navy and the Austro-Hungarian Navy suggested. The crown isn't an exact match but these are two versions of the Austro-Hungarian:

Badge 2.jpg

Badge 3.jpg

If we observ the concordent indices,  it could gaves Salonica front, with German and Bulgare on one side, English and French on the other side.

The Belgian coin is an enigm . I never heard about a Belgian unit or ambulance on this aerea ? There was just a volunter belgian  " corps des auto-canons" (armored cars) between 1915 and 1918 in Russia but they fight mainly in Galicia.

The crown presented by seaJane is the imperial austrian crown. The imperal German crown (Edwin) is the good one.

An other point. The box is from1918 . Maybe more a "POW art" than a Trench art?

At the end of the war, the food ration were rather small , specialy on the East area.

POW production was exchanged with food with the POW guards.

POW camp could explay the gathering , otherway unprobable, of these coins. The deco is in Eastern style and taste.

To go further, a better picture of the small picture above the Imperial crown could be helpfull.

It is indeed a German Imperial Navy button.

15 hours ago, seaJane said:

The pierced Russian lettering, На память Воине, I think means "To remember the warrior." The engraved letters are Ф and Б, F and B - initials?

НА ПАМЯТЬ ВОЙНЫ - To remember the war.

Adrian

Thank you for the corrections Adrian and AOK4.

I have been further advised that the crown is the German state crown, which was never made up in its final version in real life: but this wooden model matches the design exactly.

Screenshot_20210205_111833.jpg

Edited by seaJane

Hello, very interesting Topic. I have just found an almost exact match for the button which his described as Imperial German Marine Officers Button, Prussian Naval Crown with Cap-Ribbons. I have also attached the 'Kaiserliche' Deck Officers Cap Badge which has the Crown and Ribbons.

Button.png

KCB.png

Edited by Gunner 87

Many Many thanks for all your help with the search for information on this cigarette box. Its been a pleasure to view the kind response.  Just a thought if it is a POW in Salonika is it possible the button was from one of the crew of the shot down Zeppelin LZ85.  

1 hour ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Many Many thanks for all your help with the search for information on this cigarette box. Its been a pleasure to view the kind response.  Just a thought if it is a POW in Salonika is it possible the button was from one of the crew of the shot down Zeppelin LZ85.  

Unlikely to be a prisoner at Salonika. The language is Russian, not Bulgarian.

Adrian

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I was getting carried away. 

12 hours ago, apwright said:

Unlikely to be a prisoner at Salonika. The language is Russian, not Bulgarian.

Between 1916 and 17 , under General Maurice Sarrail suppervision, there were 2 russian brigade in Salonika front. 23 000 soldiers.

After 1917 and Russian revolution, the situation became confuse: a part of these Russian soldiers  try to escape to Russia, a part works as "civilian paid workers" for the allies in the region, and a ( radical) part was interned as prisonner  in a camp. Some engage in French foreign legion, others in "White" Russian legion,  . Maybe the box comme from one of the last parts.

I think the country the box was made might keep its last secret. Would have loved to have seen a Bulgarian coin on it but absolutely delighted with the information provided. Once again many thanks.   

• 2 years later...