Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Land Girl deaths.

HelenF

I recently saw an old post from April 27th 2003. It included a list taken from: Femina Patriae Defensor - Women in the Service of her country - Women's Auxiliary of the Interallied Veterans Federation, (Paris 1934). The list showed 12 deaths in the Women's Land Army and 19 in the Women's Branch Forage Corps. Can anyone send me the actual names of these women please that are included in this publication? I know the names of quite a few of the women through other avenues of research but not all of them, so this would be very useful. I can then check the names I have against the others. Thankyou.

Also, are there any Rolls of Honour that exist/still survive in Parish Churches that record Great War Women's Land Army service/deaths out there? I would really love to know. Thankyou very much.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen the following book mentioned on the Great War Forum site: Femina Patriae Defensor - Women in the Service of her country - Women's Auxiliary of the Interallied Veterans Federation, (Paris 1934). A list included in the book shows 12 deaths in the Women's Land Army and 19 in the Women's Branch Forage Corps.

I cannot remember the name of the original contributor who said they would happily provide this information to anyone who wanted the names of these particular women if they contacted the Great War Forum. It may have been a Mr Jim Strawbridge but I can't be certain. If you can let me have these names or a screenshot of the page, I would be most grateful. Thankyou.

Also, are there any Rolls of Honour that exist or still survive in any Parish Churches that record Great War Women's Land Army/Forage or Timber Cutting service/deaths out there? 

You have posted a similar topic https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/287707-deaths-of-great-war-land-girls/?tab=comments#comment-2978762 on which I said

Femina Patriae Defensor is available through the pay website forces-war-records.co.uk  in the Historic Document Library

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/documents/search?SearchQuery=%22Femina+patriae+defensor%22+

It may have been me. I have the information and also the book mentioned although not directly to hand. But I do have the names off the York Minster panels in my manuscript which I cut and paste here. At the same time as the York Minster panels were unveiled so the Yorkshire Post printed all of the names. I compared both (and with the CWGC if commemorated by them) and in one or two cases there were minor differences.  :-

Panel 1 (York Minster)         Yorkshire Herald                  CWGC (where differs)                

WOMEN’S FORAGE CORPS

BETTIS, Edith                                               BETTIS, Edith 

BISHOP, May V.                                           BISHOP, May V.

CLARKE, Daisy K.                                       CLARKE, Daisy K.      

COLES, Gertrude                                          COLES, Gertrude

GATES, Eva                                                  GATES, Eva    

GEORGE, Bessie                                          GEORGE, Bessie

GREEN, Ellen                                               GREEN, Ellen

HANCOCK, Clara M.                                   HANCOCK, Clara M.

HOWE, Annie                                               HOWE, Annie

HUCKS, Rosina

JOHNCOCK, M.A.                                       JOHNCOCK, M.A.

KANE, Lilian                                                KANE, Lilian

KNIGHT, Julia W.                                        KNIGHT, Julia W.

PALMER, Ada                                              PALMER, Ada

SMITH, Ethel                                                SMITH, Ethel                                        SMITH, Ethel Rosetta

SMITH, K.M.C.                                            SMITH, K.M.C.

WHALEY, Mary Ann                                   WHALEY, Mary Ann 

WILLIAMS, Elsie                                         WILLIAMS, Elsie    

WILTSHIRE, Elsie                                       WILTSHIRE, Elsie    

WOMEN’S LAND ARMY

CHAPMAN,  Mrs                                      CHAPMAN,  Mrs

DAVEY, Lily                                             DAVEY, Lily        

GARMAN, Blanche                                   GARMAN, Blanche  

GIBBINS, Maud W.                                   GIBBINS, Maud W.

HAMMOND, F.A.  Mrs                             HAMMOND, F.A.  Mrs

NICHOLLS, Mary L.                                 NICHOLLS, Mary L.

NUTBURN, Louisa                                   NUTBURN, Louisa        

PETTER,  Mrs                                            PETTER,  Mrs

POPPLEWELL, Annie                       **    POPPLEWELL, A.

PORTER, Ellie                                           PORTER, Ellie

• Admin

Duplicate threads merged

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

It may have been me. I have the information and also the book mentioned although not directly to hand. But I do have the names off the York Minster panels in my manuscript which I cut and paste here. At the same time as the York Minster panels were unveiled so the Yorkshire Post printed all of the names. I compared both (and with the CWGC if commemorated by them) and in one or two cases there were minor differences.  :-

Panel 1 (York Minster)         Yorkshire Herald                  CWGC (where differs)                

WOMEN’S FORAGE CORPS

BETTIS, Edith                                               BETTIS, Edith 

BISHOP, May V.                                           BISHOP, May V.

CLARKE, Daisy K.                                       CLARKE, Daisy K.      

COLES, Gertrude                                          COLES, Gertrude

GATES, Eva                                                  GATES, Eva    

GEORGE, Bessie                                          GEORGE, Bessie

GREEN, Ellen                                               GREEN, Ellen

HANCOCK, Clara M.                                   HANCOCK, Clara M.

HOWE, Annie                                               HOWE, Annie

HUCKS, Rosina

JOHNCOCK, M.A.                                       JOHNCOCK, M.A.

KANE, Lilian                                                KANE, Lilian

KNIGHT, Julia W.                                        KNIGHT, Julia W.

PALMER, Ada                                              PALMER, Ada

SMITH, Ethel                                                SMITH, Ethel                                        SMITH, Ethel Rosetta

SMITH, K.M.C.                                            SMITH, K.M.C.

WHALEY, Mary Ann                                   WHALEY, Mary Ann 

WILLIAMS, Elsie                                         WILLIAMS, Elsie    

WILTSHIRE, Elsie                                       WILTSHIRE, Elsie    

WOMEN’S LAND ARMY

CHAPMAN,  Mrs                                      CHAPMAN,  Mrs

DAVEY, Lily                                             DAVEY, Lily        

GARMAN, Blanche                                   GARMAN, Blanche  

GIBBINS, Maud W.                                   GIBBINS, Maud W.

HAMMOND, F.A.  Mrs                             HAMMOND, F.A.  Mrs

NICHOLLS, Mary L.                                 NICHOLLS, Mary L.

NUTBURN, Louisa                                   NUTBURN, Louisa        

PETTER,  Mrs                                            PETTER,  Mrs

POPPLEWELL, Annie                       **    POPPLEWELL, A.

PORTER, Ellie                                           PORTER, Ellie

Many thanks Jim. I do already have the names off the York Minster memorial thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed any other names that may have appeared in the book from 1934. If you can check whenever it is convenient that would be much appreciated. Thankyou. Helen

Another death that might not be part of this list.  I have Beatrice Gouldthorpe who was working on the LNER when she was killed some time in 1917 asa relative said.  Ihave drawn ablank on her, I have one photo of her in uniform,

51 minutes ago, toofatfortakeoff said:

Another death that might not be part of this list.  I have Beatrice Gouldthorpe who was working on the LNER when she was killed some time in 1917 asa relative said.  Ihave drawn ablank on her, I have one photo of her in uniform,

Beatrice Elizabeth Goulthorpe. She appears on a number of family trees on Ancestery. One has photo of her in railway uniform  and notes. 

"Lanchester, Durham, England.

Beatrice was killed when she slipped in the snow and fell under a train while doing the work of a man during WW1. She has her railway uniform on in this photo which was taken not long before her death. Her husband was a prisoner of war in Germany at the time."

She left a couple of young daughters as well.

b. 30/5/1890 d. 18/1/1917

Her husband was Ernest Ogden  - he has a surviving service record and in that there is a copy of her death certificate.

30973_183044-00611.jpg

30973_183044-00612.jpg

Edited by david murdoch

OH my word I searched a long time for that, nothing in the British newspaper archives. 

Here's Beatrice from a photo sent to me a long while ago.  Her brother Charles, also from Barton on Humber had been killed on 28 1916 this from my pages. 

http://bartononhumberatwar.blogspot.com/2012/08/1916-real-battles-begin.html 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pWfjIHCcpvo/UB-hf2LU1cI/AAAAAAAAADY/euHJN-YgeVM/s1600/1916+Beatrice.jpg

49 minutes ago, toofatfortakeoff said:

OH my word I searched a long time for that, nothing in the British newspaper archives. 

I went back and had a quick look in the British Newspaper Archive. There are a couple newspapers on 20th January 1917 mention the accident. She's noted as Mrs Beatrice Ogden!

She had three young daughters Edith Anne born 1910, Beatrice Anne b.1912 and Irene b. 1914.

Checking on her brother Charles  he was born 28 November 1894 and died 28th September 1916 so 21 when he was killed. His medal card showing he went overseas 22/9/1915  and first served in the Balkans.

6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Lincoln in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 33rd Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division.
Moved to Gallipoli in July 1915. Landed at Suvla Bay 7 August 1915. Went to Egypt in January 1916 and thence to France in July 1916.

She also had a second younger brother died later in the War.

Private Wilfred Crispin Goldthorpe

BIRTH 31 Mar 1899

Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire Unitary Authority, Lincolnshire, England

DEATH 21 Sep 1918 (aged 19)

He was with Highland Light Infantry when he died  but was ex Lincolnshire Regiment.

Casualty Details | CWGC

beatrice.jpg

Damn thats some way to go..double tragedy for the family in such short space of time.  Hand of fate that bought her from Barton to that destiny, and her poor children .  Wondering if shes on LNER memorial