Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Novelists

Andrew Hesketh

C S Lewis (author of Narnia series) served and was very nearly killed by a shell with the 1st Somerset Light Infantry through the winter of 1917 - spring 1918.

Brendon.

AA Mine served with the Royal Warwicks. His illustrator, EH Shephard, with 105 Seige Battery RGA.

Robert W Service ("The Canadian Kipling") served briefly as a Red Cross worker.

Terry Reeves

Hi,

F. Scott-Fitzgerald served but never went overseas.

DH Lawrence had TB and was rejected for service, he did suffer harassment though because his wife/companion was German.

I don't think Jack London of "The Call of The Wild" fame served, I think he died before the US entered the war.

Take care,

Neil

Oops ... TE Lawrence was certainly a man of letters, though not a novelist.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom..?? Revolt in the Desert...??

There's also the infamous German Corporal who wrote a book - the translation of which, is My Fight.

I've just realised you are looking for works of fiction, so scrub the German Corporal's book. Sorry.

I do stand by a lot of the content in Seven Pillars though..... <_<

Marcel Proust didn't see wartime service. He did his obligatory service in 1889 but that was it. He spent the entire Great War period in his bed writing. His health was in pieces.

One of the best novels of war flying ever written, if not THE best, is 'Winged Victory' by V M Yeates, who flew Sopwith Camels in No 46 Sqn RFC/RAF, and who died from illness made worse by his service. He was a close friend of Henry Williamson (of 'A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight' fame) and the central character of 'Winged Victory' Tom Cundall, appears in about three of the volumes of Williamson's epic, first as a schoolfriend of his main character, Phillip Maddison, and later as a pilot in the RFC.

How about Hector Hugh Monro who wrote satirical short stories about the failings of the upper classes under the nom de plume SAKI. He joined the Royal Fusiliers and was killed in action on the Somme in 1916. His works inspired much of the satirical and vitriolic portraits of high society. He used animals in most of his books.

I don't know if Georges Duhamel was ever translated into english but his books 'civilisation' and 'vie des martyrs' are outstanding examples of Great War litterature and deserve as much recognition as Barbusse.