Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NAVAL WW1 Military Medals

Ivor Anderson

First time I've seen a MM with this inscription lettering style. Did the Navy use a different inscription style on MMs too?

LG 14th May 1919. The former Hood battalion merged to become part of the 63rd Div. RND Machine Gunner.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.39.51.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

lts certainly different to the Army style

45 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

The former Hood battalion merged to become part of the 63rd Div. RND Machine Gunner.

More accurately, he served as an able seaman in Hood Battalion at Gallipoli, from July 1915, and in the BEF until May 1918 when he was transferred to the RND's 63rd MG Battalion, which had formed on 1 March 1918.

RM MM’s that I’ve seen are named in the same style as those issued to the Army.

58 DM.

According to The Great War Medal Collectors Companion (Howard Williamson) P401 > 404

All MM s were named in the same style, and shared that style with the DCM naming and BWM naming as it was carried out by the same contractor

Impressed with block capitals 1.8 mm high, the style of impression evenly applied. details of abbreviated regt marked with a colon

Any MM s not conforming to this style are said to be late issues (after 1926) or re named

Possibly a Military Medal as issued unnamed to allied forces subsequently engraved?

Could have been done to replace a medal lost or stolen.

I’m no expert by the way.

58 DM.