Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Station Hospital, The Barracks, Canterbury 1901 Census

jaqor1

Hopefully this question is relevant on this forum.

I am trying to resolve a Soldier's Army No. and Regiment, the Soldier's name is Richard William MacDonald (noted as Hussar) and appears on the 1901 Census. I have attached the relevant pages of the Census.

Is there a way to find any further information? Richard William MacDonald appears on page 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard William MacDonald 1901 p1.jpg

Richard William Macdonald 1901 p2 Census.jpg

Richard William MacDonald 1901Canterbury Hussar.pdf

Edited by jaqor1
Clarity to find Hussar in question

The census shows Charles Edward Pullen from Camberley, Surrey. There is a Charles Pullen with a surviving Medal Index Card. He gets a mention within service records, and at that time, whenever that was, he was serving with 18th (Queen Alexandra's Own Royal) Hussars.

This seems more like a genealogy question rather than a WW1 question. Do you have a list of potential numbers? If he was in the 10th Hussars, there is a source you could use, otherwise I don't really know what to advise.

Thank you 'Keith_history_buff' Your assumption is correct, the query is genealogy related. We have our Richard William MacDonald present in the 1891 census, missing in the 1901 census other than appearing as a Hussar, then getting married in 1902 and onwards to emigrating to America with his family in 1906. We have no potential soldier numbers. This was another avenue in my research process. Anyway thank you for your time in responding.

jaqor1 

I have searched FMP extensively and I can only find the one entry as noted re Richard William MacDonald - Hussar At Station Hospital.

Thank you

Bob

• Admin

I think I may be able to add a WW1 connection.

This is the link to the US Draft Registration Card for a Richard William MacDonald born 1881 in Scotland so it may indeed be your man. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9BRD-93LZ?i=732&cc=1968530&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKZJ8-DNV

He registered in 1918 aged 37. 

Thank you, I have this record from Find My Past but the noted Scotland nation of birth is incorrect. Richard noted in this document is my relative. I am actually trying prove that the Hussar found at the Station Hospital is NOT the same person. Family History is filled with many new avenues to search and lots of dead ends. But we keep searching.

Again thank you for your input.