Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with information on the Clark brothers (Scots Guards & RFA) of Perth

DoubleD

I cannot find record of a printed Roll of Honour for Perth Academy- The National Library of Scotland was pretty thorough in digitising the Scottish Rolls of Honour for the centennial. There is nothing printed or manuscript on the NLS catalogue.

BUT:

the school appears to have a roll done for the centennial done by a retired teacher, Dave Dykes-Just zap his name and Perth Academy into Mr Google's Apparatus and stuff will come up. Mr. Dykes seems also to run a Twitter -thingy about it as well.

Given that it was effectively a long established grammar school I would be very surprised indeed  if it did not have a school magazine-the only one I can find is from the 1940s onward. The book by Mr. Dykes should help greatly but I cannot see that it was openly sold as a commercial publication.

( I note that one of our colleagues on this thread is Double D....... I wonder...)

On 21/01/2021 at 21:46, DoubleD said:

You just beat me to it Guest. I am the Dave Dykes of whom you speak!

The Rolls of Honour were published in the school magazine "The Young Barbarian" twice a year at Christmas and Midsummer.

They are held in the Local and Family History Dept at the AK Bell Library and you can access them whenever you can get back to the library.

I've pasted a link below to the Book of Remembrance which was produced as part of the school's Great War Centenary project "Flowers of the Forest". Much of the material which was published in the Roll of Honour is available in the book in various sections. 

Hope that helps!

Dave

Perth Academy

Thank you both.

I will look for the Youmg Barbarian when I finally get back to the AK Bell library. I had not thought about a cumulative roll of honour being printed in the school magazine each year.

Unfortunately although the NLS has done well digitisng rolls of honour there are a number in local archives.

RM

Returning to the problem. The shoulder title of Lothians and Borders Horse was T over Y over L&B HORSE. The L&B Horse was curved. (Westlake)

In other threads we have discussed the loss (deliberate or not) of the T and Y from individual shoulder titles.

RM

That's certainly what I thought.

Thanks Pat.

I've forwarded all the information to the family member who contacted me in the first place and he sends his thanks to everyone for their help. He's pleased to have a bigger picture of their service and I'm sure he'll use it to delve a little deeper into the family history.

Cheers,

Dave