Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking Information on Willi Krüger from Schneidemühl, Prussia (Photo Enclosed)

garretg

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about the uniform in this image, which admittedly isn't a great scan? Anything about the rank or service area would be greatly appreciated.

The man pictured is Willi Krüger, a great-great uncle born in Schneidemühl, Prussia on 30.01.1898 (that is certain). He likely died on 22.05.1917 according to the Verlustsliste with the rank of Uffz., as the birthdate and name match what we know about Willi. However, it is not certain. There is also a grave at the cemetery in Warmériville, France for a Willi Krüger, which has a death date of 13.05.1917, and the rank of Kanonier. However, we don't know if this is the one and same person.

Since Willi was from Schneidemühl, he likely belonged to the 6. Westpreussischen Infanterie Regiments Nr.149, but in the book on this regiment's history, the Wilhelm Krüger listed died on 27.05.1918. If you check the loss lists, the birth date also for the person who died on 27.05.1918 also doesn't match.

I'd appreciate any information you might be able to share or offer based upon the image!

Best,

Garret G.

Willi Krueger.jpg

This is one for @GreyC, @AOK4and @JWK

Edited by FROGSMILE

Once again, his death was published in the Verlustlisten of 22 May 1917, meaning he had died at least a few weeks earlier.

I'll see whether I can find something.

Jan

Hello!

That´s right!

There was another one in Baden, but Schneidemühl fits better to Wohlau.

26.jpg

Excellent work gentlemen!  I wonder, is it also possible to determine the unit he served with when KIA?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Frogsmile,

thank you! And to your question: this is going to be difficult. If there is no list of the soldiers KIA in the regimental histories (these that the soldiers might have served with), it is almost impossible. Last resort: a call to the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. If they have him in their list, they also might have his last unit.

GreyC

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Frogsmile,

thank you! And to your question: this is going to be difficult. If there is no list of the soldiers KIA in the regimental histories (these that the soldiers might have served with), it is almost impossible. Last resort: a call to the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. If they have him in their list, they also might have his last unit.

GreyC

Thank you, that will be interesting.  I know that just like in Britain many records were destroyed during the inferno of WW2.

Edited by FROGSMILE

We´re talking about this man:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3892390

Unteroffizier Willi Krüger, born Jan. 30, 1898 in Schneidemühl.

The casualty list is from May, 22, 1917. That fits with his age and the rank ( note he was at Unteroffizier-Vorschule).

Unfortunately no unit.

Edited by The Prussian

15 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

We´re talking about this man:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3892390

Unteroffizier Willi Krüger, born Jan. 30, 1898 in Schneidemühl.

The casualty list is from May, 22, 1917. That fits with his age and the rank ( not he was at Unteroffizier-Vorschule).

Unfortunately no unit.

Is there no list of headstones that mark German graves 1914-18, or must we assume that he is one of those whose remains are completely lost (obliterated), or in an unmarked grave somewhere?  I’m unclear what the system of memorial was/is.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Another possibility is to search for the birth record of him, which might be complicated because Schneidemühl is no longer German. Sometimes they have the date and place of death noted on the birth-certificate.

GreyC

Has been done already. No  deathcertifcate or note on his birthcertificate.

der genaue Name des von Dir gesuchten Mannes lautete:

Willi Johannes Krüger
geb. 30.01.1898 um 18:15 Uhr in Schneidemühl
Vater: Gustav Krüger, verstorbener Rangiermeister aus Schneidemühl
Mutter: Anna, geb. Dreger

Geburtsregister Nr. 71/1898 vom 03.02.1898, Standesamt Schneidemühl Stadtkreis

Sein Tod ist in den Sterberegistern des Standesamtes Schneidemühl 1917 bzw. 1917 bis 1942 nicht verzeichnet. Bist Du sicher, daß das Datum stimmt?

https://forum.ahnenforschung.net/showthread.php?t=194279

WOW! I can't believe that you were able to identify a uniform on sight just like that! That's amazing!

Here are the details from the Volksbund on the grave I mentioned. I'm sorry I didn't include it earlier. I wrote and asked for an image of the grave if at all possible; if the right birth date is on it, then the case is closed.

Garret

Willi Krüger (1).pdf

Edited by garretg

15 minutes ago, garretg said:

WOW! I can't believe that you were able to identify a uniform on sight just like that! That's amazing!

Here are the details from the Volksbund on the grave I mentioned. I'm sorry I didn't include it earlier. I wrote and asked for an image of the grave if at all possible; if the right birth date is on it, then the case is closed.

Garret

Willi Krüger (1).pdf 29.9 kB · 1 download

This is NOT your man. A picture of the grave won't help, as rank and date (publication in the VL within ten days is impossible) don't match. And there is only name, rank and date of death on the grave stones of the VDK.

The VDK have old registers with more data, but they refuse to make the data public, unfortunately... Anyway, as the man in that grave is definitely not the person you're looking for, that won't help either.

Willi Krüger may have died in the East, he may not have a known grave or he may have been brought home and buried in a private grave. All reasons that may explain why he is not listed on the VDK website.

Jan

Ah, snap. I wrote the VDK in any case to see if they can shed more light on things. I just want to give my grandmother more information for our family history book.

Garret

4 hours ago, JWK said:

Has been done already. No  deathcertifcate or note on his birthcertificate.

https://forum.ahnenforschung.net/showthread.php?t=194279

I checked ancestry and didn't find anything either about his death.

Jan

I checked the Red Cross files but there is nothing obvious, sometimes there is a NoK enquiry card for those KiA.

Charlie

It’s a been a great effort by everyone, but it seems his last resting place has been lost.  As so many were.

Edited by FROGSMILE