Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munster's Guardian Angel

michaeldr

Munster's Guardian Angel

This expression is quoted by Ray Westlake in his British Regiments at Gallipoli (see 6th Munsters, p.224)

in respect of the destroyer(s) stationed in the Gulf of Saros during the 30th Brigade's push along Kiretch Tepe Sirt (7th-20th August 1915)

Not only was the gun-fire useful, but the searchlights were used to help dissuade the enemy from activity during the hours of darkness.

Can anyone identify which ship or ships gained this accolade?

Thanks in advance for any help here

Michael

Looking at the OH Military Operations Gallipoli Vol.2 Appendices

Appendix 6, p.39 – Composition & Principle Armaments of Naval Squadrons for August Operations

the only TBD named in the 3rd Squadron (ie for Suvla, in a non-troop carrying capacity) is HMS Pincher

Was Pincher the destroyer here?

Was/were any other ship/s so employed during this period?

Edited by michaeldr

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

Was Pincher the destroyer here?

Was/were any other ship/s so employed during this period?

In their writings, both Mjr Bryan Cooper and Commodore Keyes refer to two destroyers in the Gulf of Saros assisting the 30th Brigade during their push which began on 15th August.

Alas, no ship is mentioned by name.

This is the sketch made by Lt-Col M J W Pike  RIF which shows the battlefield and one of the destroyers:

the WO refs are at the foot of the page

Sketch northern flank KTS gallipoli AUG 1915.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

I just remembered that Taffrail has a detailed account in 'Endless Story' of destroyer gun support at Suvla on 6th August. The destroyers were the River Class Chelmer and Colne. Page 83-4.

Thanks for the above; a book I keep promising myself some day, and difficult to comment on blind

however, Appendix 6 of the Military OH has the Chelmer and the Colne in the 2nd Squadron at Anzac for the August operations (while the 3rd Squadron was at Suvla)

I think that actually, I am on a wild goose chase here and I may have misinterpreted this remark

It now seems more likely that the nickname was conferred on whichever ship was in station off the northern flank of Kiretch Tepe Sirt and lending support to the 30th Brigade at this time.

Thanks again for your interest

Michael 

On 16/01/2021 at 17:09, The Treasurer said:

I just remembered that Taffrail has a detailed account in 'Endless Story' of destroyer gun support at Suvla on 6th August. The destroyers were the River Class Chelmer and Colne. Page 83-4.

Michael

I've read the passage properly and it does relate to fire support for the New Zealanders on Chunuk Bair at Anzac, not Suvla - so apologies for the red herring! Dorling obviously had the story directly from an officer on Colne or Chelmer.