Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ireland - a bit of geographical help required

Jim Strawbridge

I am currently researching nuns who were nursing in France and died from disease contracted from soldiers in their care. One such nun was Catherine Monnelly who, according to this website, was born in Prieffy, Ireland in 1848.

http://www.memorialgenweb.org/memorial3/html/fr/complementter.php?id=8237466

Websurfing fails to find a place in Ireland called Prieffy. Assuming it to be a typo or translation error does anyone know where this could be, please.

Sounds like a very worthwhile project. Unfortunately I have searched in the (free) irish genealogy website and there is no Catherine Munnelly birth around that year.  Neither is there a townland of that name or near it.

Would an original record exist to see if there could be transcription errors?

Dave

For what it is worth. Perhaps a relative?

Monnelly    ,     Francis    .     (Mayo).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service;-     Royal Welsh Fusiliers    .     Unit;-     9th Battalion    .     Ser No;-     23217    .     Date of death;-    21/09/1917    .     Age;-     30    .     Born;-     Mayo    .     Enlisted;-     Wrexham    .     Residence;-     Towyn, Merionith    .     Death;-     Died of wounds    .     Next of kin, etc;-     Son of Philip and Margaret Monnelly, of Breaffy, Killala, County Mayo.    .     Notes-     Place of birth, Towyn, Merioneth-Soldiers Died In The Great War, Mayo- 1901 Census in Breaghwyanurlaur, Kilfian East, County Mayo.  Manneley-records, Mannely-Soldiers Died In The Great War, Monnelly-Commonwealth War Graves Commisson., Munnelly-'Western people' newspaper..    .     Grave/Memorial;-     I A 50.    .     Cemetery;-    Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, France.    .