Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Amiens 1918' Gregory Blaxland question

Steven Broomfield

This book, originally published in 1968, has been reprinted by Pen & Sword. 

Simple questions for anyone who has an original (I have, but it's in a box somewhere and I can't find it): can anyone tell me who published it and how much it cost in 1968, please?

Originally published by Frederick Muller. No idea of price- probably in groats or florins. Members with copies will similarly be emptying old boxes as we speak......:wub:

Thanks. Would obviously have been in LSD (ah ... the Sixties. Wish I remembered them)

31 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

(ah ... the Sixties. Wish I remembered them)

As an aside- I have experience of this- A customer years ago bought the book below from me- and told me he had been at the out-of-their-heads Isle of Wight Festival.  I then asked him if he was going to study the Flora of the Isle of Wight-  He responded "No man!!  I'm gonna smoke it" :wub:

image.png.116b8b6705991ea7404c6efe5c09601b.png

I knew I had a copy somewhere, but it also took some finding.

Blaxland.jpg

45 Bob!!!!! That's £2.25 for youngsters' information.

Thank you. No idea where my copy is. Consider yourself appreciated.

46 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

45 Bob!!!!! That's £2.25 for youngsters' information.

As decimalisation came in from 1971, then a "youngster" would have to be a minimum of 50 years old!!   Steven-I presume your local policemen are looking younger and younger as well.......

Some of the old prices do amaze me - books from the 1920s retailing new at two guineas which would have been about half the average week's wage.

According to the Bank of England's "inflation calculator" Blaxland's book today would cost close to £40.00.

34 minutes ago, Resurgam13 said:

Some of the old prices do amaze me - books from the 1920s retailing new at two guineas which would have been about half the average week's wage.

According to the Bank of England's "inflation calculator" Blaxland's book today would cost close to £40.00.

One of our bookselling colleagues had a good way of dealing with the problem of book prices from yesteryear-You may have had the same problem yourself.  In a bookshop, it is not uncommon for people to come up with,say,a book published in 1925, jacket price "5/-" and priced by Your Humble at,say,£5. For some reason the super-nerd gene kicks in and the  customer will then say something to the effect of "5/- is 25p. in decimal money-Why is this book priced at £5?   The answer our colleagues worked out was, "Yes,Sir, you are quite correct -5/-is indeed 25p. in decimal money- BUT the book was published in 1925- You can have that book for 25p.  if we can come round and buy your house -in decimal money-for what it was in 1925"

Somehow, the reasonably complex economic concept of "relative price inflation" dawns on the customer in under a second...........:wub: