Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Order V 1916

Terry_Reeves

Can anyone help with the contents of Army Order V dated 9.6.1916 please? It concerns the transfer of men from one to corps or regiment to another.  In particular, it  has been quoted for RFA drivers transferring to the Royal Engineers and appears to have been part of a re-organisation of the RFA

Many thanks

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry, I've had a look at the papers but can only find refs to Army Order V for 1915 and 1917.

Hope this may help from the the BNA

Dave

ArmyGazette_1915Mar13.png

On 12/01/2021 at 11:24, Terry_Reeves said:

In particular, it  has been quoted for RFA drivers transferring to the Royal Engineers and appears to have been part of a re-organisation of the RFA

Terry,

I've looked into this relatively recently. The reorganization of the RFA in May 1916, whereby the Brigade Ammunition Columns were abolished and became part of the Divisional Ammunition Columns, produced a surplus of drivers. These drivers were earmarked for base depot, but there was little room for them and eventually they ended up at Remount Depots. As you have highlighted in the Royal Engineer's Special Brigade thread, 1000 of these RFA drivers were transferred. I'm not sure that all were compulsory as I've seen men signing an Application to Transfer in their records. The authority for the transfer was War Office Letter 112/Drafts/1115 (A.G.1) dated June 16, 1916 but the bulk of the transfers happened between July 14 - 17, 1916. Over half of these were sent on to the RE Special Brigades fairly quickly despite being untrained. Four of them died with No. 4 Company, No. 5 Bn. Special Brigade on August 18, 1916.

8 minutes ago, David Porter said:

Terry,

I've looked into this relatively recently. The reorganization of the RFA in May 1916, whereby the Brigade Ammunition Columns were abolished and became part of the Divisional Ammunition Columns, produced a surplus of drivers. These drivers were earmarked for base depot, but there was little room for them and eventually they ended up at Remount Depots. As you have highlighted in the Royal Engineer's Special Brigade thread, 1000 of these RFA drivers were transferred. I'm not sure that all were compulsory as I've seen men signing an Application to Transfer in their records. The authority for the transfer was War Office Letter 112/Drafts/1115 (A.G.1) dated June 16, 1916 but the bulk of the transfers happened between July 14 - 17, 1916. Over half of these were sent on to the RE Special Brigades fairly quickly despite being untrained. Four of them died with No. 4 Company, No. 5 Bn. Special Brigade on August 18, 1916.

David

Thanks for that, it clears up something that has been bugging me for some time.

TR