The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

added to local war memorial 90 years on.

manxsapper

Just like to share with you this very good news I learnt yesterday. My Great Grandfather,Sapper Thomas Richard Clague is to added to the Ballasalla war memorial, Isle Of Man. He has never been listed on the Island, much to my Gran's saddness and it is the 90th annversary of his enlistment on April 1st. The only down side is that I have to pay for it myself, but it will be worth every penny! Anyone else out there with a similer story?

Just like to share with you this very good news I learnt yesterday. My Great Grandfather,Sapper Thomas Richard Clague is to added to the Ballasalla war memorial, Isle Of Man. He has never been listed on the Island, much to my Gran's saddness and it is the 90th annversary of his enlistment on April 1st. The only down side is that I have to pay for it myself, but it will be worth every penny! Anyone else out there with a similer story?

Well done and good news. Disappointing that you must pay for this yourself, though.

Robbie

I am very proud indeed thanks. It's just a pity that you have to pay for the privalige of honouring his name on the local war memorial- cash was never an issue!

Well done.

Congratulations Barry. With a name like Clague he deserves to be commemorated on the Island.

I'll be near Aldingham at the weekend so I'll stop off there and check if the flag is still flying on his grave.

Andy.

Thanks Andy, If you can forward me your address I will post you a new flag if the old one is looking a bit tired. Could you do me a big favour and see what condition the headstone is please? I am getting married in August, so will be popping up for a visit to see his grave- might find out some more on him in the local papers of the time?

Cheers, Barry