Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusiliers

Guest snowgoose

My grandfather Pte William Wright appears to have been transferred from the Lancashire Fusiliers to the 2/5th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment. His service number in the RWR was 202462. Can anyone tell me how I can set about finding his number in the Lancs Fusiliers? He was in this regiment in July 1915 when my aunt was born but I have no idea when he actually joined. There are no records for him at the War Office. Without his service number I imagine I have no chance of discovering which battalion he was in. The Lancs Fusiliers does not appear on his Medal Roll card so I understand that he must have spent his time with them in the UK. Any help appreciated as I am completely at a loss on this particular subject - and many thanks for the help I've already had from several kind people.

Dorothy

I cannot help except to suggest that your problem stems from his surviving the war. Survivors make big problems for historians but we all need grandfathers!

He probably had three numbers.

1. joins Lancs Fus

2. transferred, and if before Jan 1917 at earliest, much lower number than the one you quote in new regiment

3. renumbered under TF renumbering 1917, number as quoted.

Even if you had his number, it is very difficult to infer battalion.

Good luck, but ...................

Hmmh! I suspected as much! Luck isn't something I've had much of when researching this grandfather as due to family circumstances no-one (of the few left who remember him) will talk about him and there are no photos whatever so no useful clues in uniforms,cap badges etc. I have never seen a photo so have no idea what he looked like even. Oh well I'll try a few regimental histories for some general background and investigate further my one clue which is that he was gassed(3 people) had a pension(2 people) and lost a lung(1 person). None of these things are necessarily true but I gather there are pension records extant so I'll try those.

Dorothy