Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

sarahtrinity

Hi,

I have a Robert Caine Attestation record from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, made in December 1914. He enlisted in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, is this normal? Would he have chosen them or would he have been sent to join them? I had expected him to have joined the Durham Light Infantry  with his mates from the coal mine. I am wondering if he had a connection to Ireland? His address on the attestation paper is 16, Matchett Street then the paper is burnt on the next line it says South Moor, Durham. There is no Matchett Street in County Durham, nor was there. The only Matchett Street I can find is in Belfast. Later on in the record he gives his wife's address as South Moor. So I am confused. If he was living in Belfast why did he enlist in Newcastle, if he was in Co. Durham why did he end up in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?

Unfortunately later in the record it says

" Posted 27.4.1915

Absented himself

from27.4.15

no court of inquiry held

and no further information available

Posted to supernumerary

strength from 27.4.15" does this mean that he deserted?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it,

Sarah

I have a Robert Caine Attestation record from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, made in December 1914. He enlisted in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, is this normal

Typically in December 1914 he would have 'chosen' which regiment to join but men were often talked in to enlisting directly in to whoever was short of men that week (or the recruiting sgt was a former member of).

South Moor, Stanley  was prime mining area in the Durham coalfields. If it has been Consett, a few miles away, then it would have probably been the Iron Works ~40% were Irish immigrants - but Stanley area was almost entirely coal.

Can you link to the record, please.

Craig

Or even  Newcastle County Down?

Hi, thanks for replying unfortunately it clearly says Newcastle Upon Tyne

I have attached the relevant sections of Robert's record.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Robert Caine WW1.pdf