Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HOSPITAL SHIPS

Deedee

According to his medal record, my great grandfather Fred Dawson embarked on a hospital ship 22/11/15. I remember seeing a postcard of the Mauretania as a hospital ship when I was very much younger in a family photo box and have found out this ship left Southampton on this date for Gallipoli so am making the assumption he was on board as a RAMC private. He also reportedly survived a submarine attack at some point during his service before being posted to Northern France. I am hoping to find out if there are any passenger records of hospital ships ( Mauretania in particular) to prove my assumption and furthermore to find out if the Mauretania, in particular was attacked at any point by a submarine.  I have found various pictures and dates re: movements of the ship but would appreciate further guidance from more knowledgeable members.

DeeDee,

If you have Fred's medaL card can you tell us what his number is? Other details such as age and place of birth would be useful. Even though he was in the R.A.M.C. he may have been a patient rather than part of the medical team.

Regards,

Alf McM

I've seen HS sometimes marked against the date of entry to a theatre of war for RAMC men.

I've assumed it either means they boarded a returning hospital ship or I now think more likely they were staff on the hospital ship.

I can't see a war diary for the ship and I doubt there are any passenger lists for the war period.

TEW

Dear All, and TEW,

I can confirm that:-

See the busy-looking Medal Index Card for erstwhile RAMC Pte Cecil Partridge, who was later commissioned into the Indian Army.

Both HS and Gallipoli are clearly noted, plus interesting relevant  dates not usually seen2031280779_MedalIndexCard.jpg.1e3e5a9193f5d21fc618e15b6f96ee09.jpg...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Fred was a Private in the RAMC 21900 Yorks and Lancs Regiment. He was born in Mapplewell, Barnsley and signed up apparently in Nottingham, not sure why as by then he lived near Doncaster. A local newspaper printed the story about him surviving a submarine attack on a hospital ship after his death 10/04/18.

DeeDee,

Thanks for the information. Not relevant to your query, but possibly of interest, I note that Fred was serving with 18th Field Ambulance when he died. The was diary for 18th Field Ambulance is here  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352335   and can be downloaded for free once you register. There is a very slight chance that Fred may be mentioned by name, Even if not, it will tell you where the F.A. was and what they did.

Regards,

Alf McM

DeeDee,

Fred's death was recorded in the South Yorkshire Times of 28th April 1918. {column 4}  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0002837%2f19180420%2f092&stringtohighlight=dawson It stated he was shipwrecked by a submarine off Gallipoli, and that he was the brother of Private Lewis Dawson of Mexboro'. There is a lot of detail about his funeral, and a list of mourners.

The next week's issue of the South Yorkshire Times issued a correction stating that they were in error stating that Fred had been torpedoed, and that he was not the brother of the late Pte. Lewis Dawson. This information presumably came from Fred's family. {column 4}  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0002837%2f19180427%2f022&stringtohighlight=dawson

Fred presumably stayed with Mauretania until 25th January 1916, when it ceased to be a hospital ship, until later in the war.

Regards,

Alf McM

Yes, thank you Alf. I appreciate your assistance. Is there any way in which I can confirm his presence on the Mauretania or another ship and see which ship was torpedoed? Thanks.

18 Field Ambulance was a part of 6 Division's medical component, which served in France for the duration of the war.

Prior to Mauretania's trip to Gallipoli (Nov 1915) there was a torpedo-ing of the troopship Royal Edward 13 Aug 1915 in the E Med. The ship carried elements of the RAMC and reinforcements for 29 Division and was heading to Mudros at the time. Your man may or may not have been in this incident, and might have been brought back to the UK as rescued troops were picked up by HMHS Soudan which was in the area at the time.

Edited by sotonmate

I was under the impression that his date of entry to a theatre of war was 22/11/1915 on board the Mauretania in which case there can't be an earlier voyage?

Secondly, given the two newspaper articles noted by Alf it seems a possibity that Fred was never torpedoed. Perhaps another Fred Dawson with a brother Lewis had been torpedoed and the two Freds were conflated.

TEW