Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Binoculars Help!

Hi All

My dad recently passed away and among other military items we found these binoculars which seem in good condition. 

Any information would be greatly received as not sure where they are from, what the markings mean etc and also if they might be worth anything. 

Many Thanks

A6C5E590-B511-414B-BDA0-30C23A55BA17.jpeg

51D985E9-7AC6-4CED-8826-87703A59A204.jpeg

2DCA925C-7A7B-4E5D-B953-0B47D5ED55BC.jpeg

Andy,

Welcome to the GWF!

I can provide a little information before the true experts come along,

1) The broad arrow is the sign of ownership by the British Govt.,

2) I believe that binoculars were graded I, II or III class---yours are obviously marked as first class,

3) Bought by govt. in 1905.

Was your grandfather an officer in the pre-war army? (since binos were not issued to enlisted men)

Regards,

JMB

24 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

...2) I believe that binoculars were graded I, II or III class---yours are obviously marked as first class...

The Broad Arrow over the letter I denotes these binoculars were originally Government property of the Indian Army. It has nothing to do with the grade of the binoculars.

Andrew,

Thanks for setting me straight.

Not only that, but I misread the year on the case as well!!

Regards,

JMB

JMB/Andrew

Thanks for the welcome and appreciate your responses so far. 

I’m just finding out more information as I go with this, one thing I have to remember is just because my dad had them doesn’t mean they came from our family who served. 

I have found my grandad who was called up for national service for the Second World War and who I have quite a bit of army documents for with some pictures served in 27th RASC and served in Malaya so not sure if they come from there but he wasn’t an officer to my knowledge. 

I’m also aware my grandad on my mums side served in India but I have no idea when and with what regiment and neither does my mum unfortunately. 

They are in really good condition so I don’t think they have had much use.  

It *looks like* a British Army Binocular Mk.V, but I'd expect it to be marked as such if it is. As noted by Andrew above, the 'I' denotes Indian issue.

The condition is quite remarkable :).

Edited by MikB