Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone photo wanted Duisans British Cemetery

jay dubaya

Realising that the current pandemic restrictions may not allow this, but if possible and any kind soul is in the area it would be much appreciated,

Gunner 94468 Samuel Davies - Plot 15, Row G, Grave 23

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon,

I have this but I cannot recall where I got it from so cannot vouch for any copyright etc.

Regards,

Graeme

PS. He's on Bilston War Memorial.

davies s a.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

another view from the back

DSC_0490.JPG

oh, as for copyright, I took for Graeme so suppose its copyright free, unless you want to pay a donation to the skindles chocolate fountain fund

Edited by chaz

Many thanks Greame... and by default Chaz... who gets extra thanks for the added images.

Well that confirms the personal inscription doesn't appear on the headstone, CWGC note this as 'Ever in our thoughts' so may be it's in hand and will be added at a later date...

Samuels wife had returned the verification form on 19th September 1922 with the added footnote 'I do not agree to pay the costs. He gave his life freely and if this cannot be put on freely leave it off'.

The decision reached by the then IWGC was that this was a definate refusal to pay and the inscription should not be added. I suspect this wasn't an isolated incident.

J

Edited by jay dubaya
have the falseteeth been removed from the chocolate fountain yet?

interesting that his grave report has Davis and G initial, normally the wife has a good look at the inscriptions at the bottom, more interest to her.

there is no inscription on the headstone report so dont know where the "Ever in our thoughts" came  from, it is a central row grave so would not have thought it would have been damaged either by the car crash or WW2 exploits,  By the way its plot IV (or 4) not 15 in your first post.

Thanks for the correction Chas... for whatever reason I'd written XV in my notes and not IV...

1970355000_94486Daviesverificationreply.jpg.9f92ff13d8008c6001759544df2b4d82.jpg

image source CWGC online archive CWGC/8/1/4/1/1/170

Edited by jay dubaya
add image source

nice to see, I didnt know there was a unable to pay form, being farm workers my 3 great uncles and their cousin all have blank inscriptions.

On 03/01/2021 at 17:32, jay dubaya said:

Thanks for the correction Chas... for whatever reason I'd written XV in my notes and not IV...

1970355000_94486Daviesverificationreply.jpg.9f92ff13d8008c6001759544df2b4d82.jpg

I am interested to know where (or from whom) you acquired the letter from the (then) IWGC.

I would also be interested to know the origin of any letters or forms relating to the "Final Verification Form" named in the letter.

Your help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Apologies... I thought I'd copied the image with its reference, now added above.

There's not much to it other than highlighting an interesting issue and the official stance. The whole file can be found via the online CWGC archive here