Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

58 Bde RFA War Diary now available in text format

David26

In case it is of any use, I have transcribed the War Diary for 58 Bde RFA (WO95/4298) and made it available here: https://58fab.com/war-diary-gallipoli/.  The diary starts with the brigade being ordered overseas at the end of June 1915 and includes its brief stay in Egypt before proceeding to Suvla Bay, Gallipoli.  The diary unfortunately stops at the end of October 1915 since the months November 1915 to June 1916 inclusive appear to have been lost.  Interestingly though, it also includes a (much briefer, but in some ways more interesting) diary kept by one of the brigade's batteries, C/58, for the same period (June-October).  This may be because the OC that battery was an old soldier who had acted as the brigade's adjutant earlier in the year.  

David.

David

An excellent site.

The war diary gives a good insight into how the Gunners operated in Gallipoli.

Interesting that all the horses were removed in September. It looks like they were not expecting to move anywhere. Perhaps  the situation had stagnated and the horses / men  were becoming a drag on the logistical supply chain.  

The FOO's observing fall of shot for ships, an early example of naval gun fire support. 

There looks to be some experimentation with fuses which may be because of the terrain. 

26 - Oct - 1915 - A case of not knowing left from right ! 

Staff Capt wires.  Owing to a mistake Right Flank officers sent to Left flank & Left Flank officers sent to Right (of new draft).  

It is a shame that the war diary from the evacuation is missing as it have been interesting to follow the events. 

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I think they sent some of the horses (and drivers) away in September was exactly as you say because it was apparent that they had reached a stale mate and that there was little prospect for massed advances, so were just risking unnecessary casualties from the Turkish shelling of the wagon lines.  

David.

42 minutes ago, David26 said:

so were just risking unnecessary casualties from the Turkish shelling of the wagon lines.  

Farndale's history of the RA illustrates how dangerous the lines were on Gallipoli - "On 29th August one 5.9-inch shell accounted for 113 mules."

Great work David. I do believe that the diaries for November and December 1915 are with the Royal Artillery Museum Archive at Larkhill.

24 minutes ago, David Porter said:

Great work David. I do believe that the diaries for November and December 1915 are with the Royal Artillery Museum Archive at Larkhill.

Thank you David!  That's excellent news.  I did contact TNA a few years back who confirmed that they didn't have them, but didn't think of Larkhill.  Once visiting is possible I shall make sure I arrange to look at them.  

David.

• 1 month later...

Good read. I have an interest in 59th Bde RFA,11 Div.  My grandfather was a gunner in D/59 Jan 1917 to Oct 1917.

Thank you Barwinmol. That's very kind.  As sister brigades in the same division, obviously 59 Bde had a very similar experience,

David.

This is really interesting. My Grandfather was a Driver with B/59 at Suvla. His next posting was to 5C reserve BDe on 26/9/15 and I had always assumed that he was evacuated due to illness although the was nothing on his service record to suggest this. Now I suspect that he may have been sent away with the unneeded horses.

Is it likely that such drivers would have been sent to the reserve brigade?

He stayed in the reserves until Oct 16 when he went to France and served the rest of the war as a Gunner / Bombardier in D/34, D/36.

4 hours ago, Peter Le Duc said:

This is really interesting. My Grandfather was a Driver with B/59 at Suvla. His next posting was to 5C reserve BDe on 26/9/15 and I had always assumed that he was evacuated due to illness although the was nothing on his service record to suggest this. Now I suspect that he may have been sent away with the unneeded horses.

Is it likely that such drivers would have been sent to the reserve brigade?

He stayed in the reserves until Oct 16 when he went to France and served the rest of the war as a Gunner / Bombardier in D/34, D/36.

Thanks Peter.  As far as I can tell - though the records aren't clear - the surplus horses and drivers were simply sent back to Mudros, on the nearby island of Imbros.  Greece had allowed the Meditterranean Expeditionary Force to set up a number of camps there and so it was used as a staging place for the forces at Gallipoli, being only a short distance away.  I doubt they would have sent them too far away in the expectation that they would be needed in the future either due to some success on the battlefield or simply as replacements for the inevitable losses.  But as I say, I cannot be definitive about that.  

5C Reserve Bde was back in the UK at Charlton Park, Woolwich, so like your initial assumption, my instinct would also be that your grandfather was evacuated due to illness or injury, though the lack of mention in his service record is puzzling.

David. 

54 minutes ago, David26 said:

5C Reserve Bde was back in the UK at Charlton Park, Woolwich

From November 8, 1916 it was, in September 1915 it was at Colchester.

I would have thought surplus horses and drivers from Gallipoli would not be sent further away than Alexandria. So I agree that illness or injury could have forced him back to the UK. That, or he was also a particular officer's batman - that distinction is rarely mentioned in service records. 

Thank you David. I hadn't realised 5C Reserve Bde had been in Colchester then. That's very helpful to know. 

David.