Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking information on my Grandfather

Guest asterix

Regimental Number 11022.

I'm trying to find further information on my Grandfather, in particular, the circumstances of his commissioning , from a Private in the Coldstreams, to a 2nd Lt in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Any history or background would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Asterix

Asterix

Go into the National Archives website and go to Catalogue Search. Type in as much information as you have but in the last box enter file reference WO 339, WO 374. If you see the officer's name note the reference number. That will refer to his officer's file stored at TNA and this should provide the information you need. Sometimes the files are not there for a number of reasons and there may be duplicate names to complicate the search. If this does not work try the Army Lists which will at least give the date of commission. Copies held at TNA and major public libraries, Birmingham for example.

Peter

LCpl WA King was commissioned into RWR on 29/8/17. At the end of 1918 he was a 2LT - source is the coldstream gds 1914/18 by Ross of Bladensburg

His commission was almost certainly due to the high attrition rate of junior officers who needed replacing....

His number implies he joined in August 1914

Ian

Guest asterix

March and Coldstreamer, I can only say thank you very very much :)

He joined in August 1914? Good Grief.

We know the details of his service post war, and we know he became a career soldier , ending I think as a Lt.Col.

Is there a facility to post photographs here? My Grandfather was a demon photographer, and we have a substantial number of WW1 photographs he took, which I'd like to start putting on the internet.

Coldstreamer , do you have a list of actions that the Coldstreams took part in?

I'm still amazed that he lasted from Aug 1914. Would he have been part of the original B.E.F?

Once again, many thanks

Asterix

Hello

Send me an email and I will save boring everyone

This number implies we went to France late Nov 14 -I will check him on the 14 star but dont think he will be on it but prob the 15 roll (which I dont have yet)

Cheers Ian