Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many Indians were there on the somme?

kirkyboy

hi,

Does anybody know how many Indians there on the Somme.

I am doing 'The Somme' in History and my Indian friend wants to know how many people of his religion were there.

Thanks Kirkyboy :lol:

The quick answer is "over 130,000 Indian soldiers served in France".

Though this wouldn't be all at the same time, as fresh troops were brought in to replace casualties.

Some bits...

September 9 despatch of 70,000 troops from India announced.

Moved to trenches south of Ypres on October 22.

October 28: Engaged in action were the 47th Sikhs, the 9th Bhopal Infantry, two companies of the 3rd Bombay Sappers and Miners, in conjunction with the 7th British Brigade. Over 500 killed and 1,450 wounded

October 31 first Indian VC - literally the first ever. Only able to gain VC after 1911.

The infantry were withdrawn in late 1915 (Off to Mesopotamia). Some cavalry remained until 1918.

zoo

PS. Which religion is your friend?

hi,

Does anybody know how many Indians there on the Somme.

I am doing 'The Somme' in History and my Indian friend wants to know how many people of his religion were there.

Thanks Kirkyboy   :lol:

In addition to zooloo's answer, you have to remember that "India" during WW1 was a single country covering what is now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Virtually all of India was British-ruled, but a few small areas were colonies for other European countries (Goa was ruled by Portugal, for example).

Check out the web-site for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission - they maintain all the war graves, as well as the memorials recording the names of those who have no known graves. The database is searchable online.

On the Publications page you can download a PDF of the leaflet relating to India, which includes the details of how many soldiers served where outside of India (1,100,000 in total) and how many died in each place (60,000 in total). This doesn't give a breakdown of deaths by religion, but you could always e-mail the Commission to ask them.

Niall Ferguson's excellent Empire says one of the more successful efforts on the SOmme was action by th Secunderabad? Regiment at Morlancourt. That didn't sound right, looked at When the Barrage Lifts, a topographical history of Somme, it was behind British lines the whole time!

It MAY be...

The Secunderabad Brigade were cavalry so they would have been held back initially.

An example of this would have been High Wood July 1916, when Rawlinson did keep them back until early evening. Obviously well after the barage had lifted.

When they did advance they cleared most of High Wood, which would have been considered a successful effort.

Then again it may not... :unsure:

zoo

you have to remember that "India" during WW1 was a single country covering what is now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka.

Not quite right.

At the time of WW1 'British India' comprised of what is now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Burma).

It did not include Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) or, as was said, the very small Portuguese and French colonial territories.

Apologies for nit-picking :D

I know a bit about the attack oh High Wood, but what about him stating they attacked Marlancourt? That's what I question.

No reference found in the Idia Corps in France.

What I meant with High Wood was it's an example of why they were behind the lines. I see now that wasn't clear. Why in this case... dunno guv.

Kirkyboy

If he or you (or anyone else) is interested then send me an email and I'll send back some scans from the Times History of the War relating to the Indain Army in general.

zoo

There is an excellent book on the subject "Sepoys in the Trenches" It details how and where the Indian units were employed during WW1.

If memory servise me, most of them had been withdrawn by 1916 to serve in the Desert Campaign, but they rendered excellent service in terms of providing troops for the British to use at the start of the war until they had sufficient numbers trained to take their place.

The other thing it stresses is that these Indian troops were not equipped or trained for European style Warfare, but rather light Infantry operations in securing the Empires Frontiers.

it also gives some fascinating insight into how matters of caste and religion were handled by the Indians and the British.

Also of interest is the desertion of some Muslims to the Germans as some of the Indians thought the Germans were the better side to be on as they were allied to the Turks.

A great read.

As stated the bulk of Indian troops were withdrawn from the Western Front in late 1915. By the time of the Somme, the Secunderabad Brigade formed the majority of Indian units left in France until the Indian Labour Corps was formed. However, to my knowledge, no ILC units served on the Somme in 1916.