Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with the IGN and Michelin maps

Kathie

I have read Paul Reeds comments on the different maps. Can i have some advice please.

1. Do I understand that if you are doing both driving and walking the IGN blue series is the best? And that the Michelin series with the CWGC markings on is equally good for that purpose??? How do I decide??? I want to drive to an area and then walk

2. How and where do I find these maps? I live in South aFrica. I arrive in London for two hours before catching a flight to Brussels to start off to Ypres and etc. What is the best plan. How certain can I be that I will find the needed maps in Ypres. And where?

3. Is there anywhere I can book the maps.

4. Finally, I see references to trench maps. I do not have. Where are they obtained and how? Does one need them if one is a social Great War fanatic and not a technical GW fanatic - ie. the people but not really the battles etc?

Advice please.

Kathie

Kathie

I usually try to have both yellow and blue maps with me on my trips. The yellow overprinted maps are great for showing you where to find the cemeteries. The blue series give you more detail and are better for walkers. I would not like to rely on the yellow maps as a walker.

The overprinted maps can be bought direct from the CWGC in UK or from the offices in France and Belgium. The Belgian office is in Ypres (Ieper). When I bought them you needed three maps but now it comes as a single atlas.

The blue series maps are available online from either www.ign.be or www.ign.fr

The belgian and french maps are slightly different. One has a scale of 1:20,000 the other 1:25,000. They do not overlap each others areas.

I buy mine from

www.themapcentre.co.uk

Hope that helps

Garth

Kathie,

Here is the web site, http://www.ign.fr/ . I ordered the maps for the Neuve Chapell, Loos area (with gracious help from Laurent) earlier this year. The maps made it here (US) in about 2 weeks. Very reasonable shipping time for the distance. Not sure how this works with your travel dates though. I also saw some maps in US books stores, so I would image they would also be available in the UK or Belgium.

Andy

If you don't get them before you go, you can get the CWGC map book in several bookshops in Ypres, and the IFF Museum shop has all the local Belgian IGN sheets for Ypres, which are useful for walking. On the Somme you can buy the IGN Blue sheets for the area in the Maison de la Presse in Albert (best stock available), or at the Historial or the Thiepval Visitors Centre.

The IGN 'Serie Verte' (Green series) are, in my opinion, better for driving as they are more detailed but not too detailed. There are two sheets that cover Ypres to the Somme, plus Hindenburg Line. No 4 Laon Arras and No 2 Dunkerque Lille. These are 1/100,000 scale. You can order these from the IGN website mentioned above and they are widely available in maison de la presse throughout France and at airports.

I agree thoroughly with Paul's comments that the Green IGN maps are fine for general orientation but the blue are best for walking. There is the option of ordering the CD version of the blue maps which cover all of France at the rate of two (generally) to a department. They are about 40 euros but do cover a wide area - you would need to print out what you need. There are already a few pointers to online sources. They are also available through the Western Front Association (see the WFA website).

How big an area are you looking to explore? You can end up with a boxfull of blue maps if you explore widely but if you enjoy maps they are worthwhile. The IGN site should help you decide what you want.

I wonder if an email to the Historial will confirm their stocks and possibly reserve some that you want. The bulk of the Somme is covered on 4 maps. Some were also available at the Thiepval visitor centre last time I was there.

Regards,

Martin

thank you all very much for your patience. I have the time and so will order and Im sure everything will arrive here. i enjoy map reading and even social historians will appreciate the intricacies if better informed. Sometimes I am appalled to realise Im probably the only person on this whole forum who has no military connections - do the brownies some forty five years ago count.

Anway, thanks - I am ordering today.

Kathie

I have tried to order blue maps from ign.fr and have managed to decipher whcih maps relate to which area and have a fair number to order. However, I am stuck on the actual order - I cannot get into the block which shows me whats in the basket or which allows me to order and pay. French not too good. Can someone guide me through the process please??? I am ordering the blue maps so that I can plan and then i will buy the CWGC mapbook when I get to Ieper.

Thanks

Kathie

Once you have chosen the maps you want you have activate a 'check' box to select the maps you want. You then click a button that has 'Ajouer?' on it and this takes you to another menu with big blue buttons. You then click 'Valider et Payer', fill in your details and then press the same button. This gives your final bill. Click 'J'ai pris connaissance et accepté les Conditions générales de vente' and chose your payment method and press 'Valider et Payer' again. It then takes you to the secure server.

Hope that helps.