Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Final words on Albert Accommodation

Kathie

I was going to spend all my time in the Somme area in Peronne. However, I see other people on the Forum tend to meet up and thought I might risk the same. Hence, I am prepared to put my toe into the Albert vicinity over the 1 July period in hopes (and fears) of actually meeting some of the names.

However, The Royal Picardie vs all else debate has worried me a bit. I have read the strong views against - and am worried no kettle in room for very early morning cup of tea. I have read John Hartleys views in favour and like the thought of a Madame who tells off the lager louts. Please can someone who has recently stayed there tell me what to do.

I also see there is Hotel de la Paix??? Whats that like.

I am not a social bed and bedder, and am not really a drinker and like pece and quiet and clean. So please help.

Have I left a booking too late for 1 July anyway. Last time I sent I stayed in Amiens where I was very happy. To leave a comfort zone is hard for some

Kathie

You might find a room in the Royal Picardie, but I think you will find the De La Paix will already be full over the 1st July period. Tea in your room should be a minor issue in France; very few French hotels have this facility and you are probably better off taking a travel kettle. It is a nice hotel, and has a good reputation locally. People's taste does vary and the only way to be sure is to check it out and stay there!

We stayed at the Hotel de la Paix for many years, the welcome is always friendly and the food is truly excellent. However, like most small French town hotels the noise of people un-locking and opening doors is like the opening credits to 'Porrige'! Then there are the bells...

I much prefer self-catering and having a whole rented house for myself and the family with the space, freedom and peace and quiet for much the same cost.

I would agree - I only normally stay in hotels on work, or visiting a place where there is no other option but to use a hotel. Normally in France we would rent a Gite. However, house rental is not for all and with limited time it is often not an option because some houses are only for rent over weekends or for a week at a time.

I am not a social bed and bedder, and am not really a drinker and like pece and quiet and clean.

However, I see other people on the Forum tend to meet up and thought I might risk the same. Hence, I am prepared to put my toe into the Albert vicinity over the 1 July period in hopes (and fears) of actually meeting some of the names.

I have not stayed very recently, but if these are your only requirments I think you are doing fine with the Picardie.

Also don't worry about meeting the people on the Forum! There is no risk, in person meetings only tend to add to the addiction.

Andy

We have been through this several times, I have stayed at Picardie twice, it's just fine and food is quite good. Best restaurant in the area may be Ramparts Hotel Peronne.

Perhaps the Picardie has improved since I last stayed there - I was very disappointed with both the accommodation and meals - we booked two rooms but upon arrival was told that only one was available and we would have to share, and if your idea of a wholesame breakfast is a sawn up baguette with a pot of strawberry jam, (no butter), then i'm sure you'll be just fine.

Apologies for being negative, we now stay at the Hotel BB in Amiens, very cheap, very basic, but an interesting drive through the Somme valley to and from the battlefields.

TRhank you all for on and off Forum suggestions. I am now making a decision. For me its a big thing because this is probably my last trip to the trenches - being so far away - so I am very pernickety. However, I am considering all options - sleeping in hired car, looking up the local Vicomte and demanding accommodation at the local chateau and everything inbetween.

Will there be anyone in the vicinity over this period so I can put names to faces or do you all rather sensibly go out of the tourist season?

Kathie

kathie,

I would not say there is really a tourist season as such, my favourite time to visit is September to May. Having been there once for a week over the 1st July period I will say only this - never again. There is (dare I say) rather an obsession with this day and I would say the 11th Nov is a much nicer time to be on the old Western Front. Others will disagree but for me the winter is a special time, the weather is always 'interesting' on the Somme and you never know what you will get.

As I say I much prefer the freedom, space and facilities of renting a house. Nothing beats relaxing in your own living room with a roaring log fire. Doing this does not mean self-catering, you can eat at any of the hotels of course.

again thanks to those who made helpful suggestions and which I have followed up. The decision has been made on two bases: Firstly, finances. The remparts at Peronne have made such a nice offer that Ihave decided to stay for the entire period I will be in that part of the world - Picardie was three times as much and I dont really need to be up there for my research. Secondly, as yet unknown compnay. I dont know if there will be interesting Forum fanatics in the vicinity so I dont want to arrange my whereabouts to suit meetings whcih may not happen. Also I must confess the last time I was there - that part of the world - whcih was 1999 - i saw so many orange sashes I felt very foreign indeed.

So thanks all for helpl.

Kathie