Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal W Reid, 2/7 Kings Liverpool Regiment

Triumph2000

Hi folks, can anyone help me further identify this man please? He is Corporal W Reid of the 2/7 KLR. He's pictured here in his hospital blues while convalescing at the Woodlands Hospital (part of St John's VAD) in Southport during early 1918. My Great Grandad (18th KLR) was convalescing there at the same time, and Cpl Reid gave him this photo, amongst others, as a keepsake.

That's really all I know about him; I've been trying to find a service number as a starting point for some further research, but have so far drawn a blank. Any ideas, please?

Many thanks

Ben

CplWReid_2-7-KLR.jpg.70430bae34d7fc364ec313f2d2c411e2.jpg

Can see a William H Read (Corporal) enlisted 4/1/1915, discharged 28/3/1918. Wounded S.W.B No B/403159.. C co, old number, 3652 and new number 266207. Let me know if you think it’s him. Mike

Mike, you must be able to type faster than me. I have just carried out a search on various spellings of Reid and I came up with Corporal Willam H Read as well.

Can't find any other suitable candidate.

Or a Thomas W Reid 27919 KLR and Labour Corps 620893 . 

Simon

20 minutes ago, MikeEdwards said:

Can see a William H Read (Corporal) enlisted 4/1/1915, discharged 28/3/1918. Wounded S.W.B No B/403159.. C co, old number, 3652 and new number 266207. Let me know if you think it’s him. Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm just undecided on the spelling - I got Reid (might have mis-read it?) from the reverse of the postcard. I am guessing that the man himself wrote it (it's not my relative's handwriting, at least):

IMG_6589.jpg.915cf92d7dfca6d9ce00b072aefb4bd1.jpg

I also have a newspaper cutting, but on that he is Read (third row, fourth from left) - perhaps as heard by the photographer though?:

Lightened_WoundedWoodlands.png.7a215fa61fdcb1e03b266d2c221b6600.png

Edited by Triumph2000

My reading of the post card spells Reid. The dot on the i is high which is the same in 'Kings' and 'Liverpool'.

Simon

24 minutes ago, mancpal said:

My reading of the post card spells Reid. The dot on the i is high which is the same in 'Kings' and 'Liverpool'.

Simon

Thanks Simon

23 minutes ago, Promenade said:

Image from Ancestry

image.png.08a899c591c819b4db326706cc51dd27.png

Jackpot! Thank you. 

Using this info I've now seen his service record on Ancestry, which I'm reading through now...

This William Hindle Read appears to be the son of Elizabeth Ann Hindle and Joseph Read, then. This gives me a good avenue for further research. Thanks again. 

Edited by Triumph2000
words