Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Require assistance with Medical Abbreviations

Cassidy Medals

Hi to all....... I trust this messages find you safe and well.

I am researching 7343 PTE Peter Cassidy 2/HLI.   [Boer War & WW1.]

He is recorded on a list as being wounded/sick on 4 June 1917. 

Contus[ions] & FB.L......Adm[itted to 83 General Hospital] He also had a slight eye wound.   

Can you please enlighten me as to what FB.L. means.   I am assuming L is left?  FB has me stumped. 

I could not find it an any abbreviations lists for WW1. 

His Service Record details being wounded on 30 May 1917, so I am assuming he was evacuated and at 83 Gen Hosp by the 4 June 1917.  The 2/HLI War Diary mentions being shelled during this period. Gas Shells??

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Gaz

Foreign body. Left [eye]

Could be a minor injury- dirt or grit embedded in the cornea, to something. more serious like a small metal splinter.

If it was even more serious, say from an explosion, metal fragments could be more High velocity and could penetrate the eye, which in those days would almost certainly result in the loss of the eye. 

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hi Gaz,

11 hours ago, Cassidy Medals said:

Contus[ions] & FB.L......Adm[itted to 83 General Hospital] He also had a slight eye wound. 

I think that it's just the way that the list columns were typed, and that the "Eye Wd. Slt." reads as part of the "FB.L.." bit. In a similar way, for the man below him it would read as 'Slight curvature of the spine - Admitted...'.

image.png.d2c3de31268c9361af2a2a66f576c112.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

11 hours ago, Cassidy Medals said:

His Service Record details being wounded on 30 May 1917... Gas Shells??

image.png.ebfc27dae24150adc470bce1e1836468.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

I read that as being the 28th, which would tie back to the diary entry saying "...Proceeded to occupy line east of Willerval. Companies were shelled on the road back" 2 OR killed (probably 35118 Morris, and 17031 Pollock); 3 OR wounded; Reinforcements 5 OR.  The diary doesn't say whether they were gas shells. The Divisional HQ diary shows:

image.png.fe484d599669e3b45b44f7e418f457ec.png

image.png.abecb1945fd2ef968ada3a78218a78e4.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

image.png.96f7c15a7c38ea47091966764c481e10.png

Base image sourced from the National Library of Scotland

Regards

Chris

Picking up various contributions from colleagues so far:

Isn't "slt" slight?

"Contus{ion] & F[oreign] B[ody] L[eft] Eye W[oun]d Sl[igh]t.

The entry below would be:

Curvature Spine sl[igh]t.

RM

Couldn't they be two different things?

Contusion Foreign Body Leg?

Eye Wd Slt.

The Contusion & FB are linked. Surely he can't have a contusion of the eye?

TEW

'Contusion' is leakage of blood from very small blood vessels. If this occurs on the eye itself then it will appear as red blood over the white of the eye ball. This is typically referred to as a 'conjunctival haemorrhage' rather than a 'contusion'. The latter usually refers to bruising around the eye - a so-called 'black eye'. 

Robert 

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Contusion Foreign Body Leg?

Eye Wd Slt.

No, I wouldn't think so.

The whole phrase is littered with full stops, but interestingly none between 'Eye' and 'Wd'.

So that must represent 'Eye Wound.

It would be a bit vague to describe an eye wound and a leg wound without stating specifically which side was affected.

The most logical conclusion, is that there is no leg injury, only injury to the 'L.'[eft] Eye.

Hi,

Whilst post war he appears to have been awarded a pension, it doesn't seem that it was as a consequence of the wounding. Rather as the result of chronic bronchitis, which was accepted as being attributable to his service.

image.png.1860d5a9abae49ead0e05c3bd5befba3.png

Image sourced from Fold3

Regards

Chris

Wow..... I am literally blown away by the responses and information that has been provided..... very informative and demonstrates the depth of this forum......thank you to everyone who responded. Greatly appreciated.

My apologies for not posting the documentation.... I was uncertain if this would be deemed a breach of copyright.....but now I can see that this is ok as long as the reference is noted. I will make a point of this for future posts.   

Does anyone know if Cassidy's name made it onto a War Office Casualty List?  I haven't seen one. 

Just wondering if he eligible to wear a wound stripe??

Regards to all. 

Gaz

Looks to me as though his date of wound 28/5/1917 would make him fall into the gap between the casualty lists printed in The Times which ended in May 1917 and the later official lists which were published from early August 1917 but could include those wounded 3-4 weeks earlier.

As entitlement to the wound stripe stems from the details being published in an Official CL (Times or later published) it does seem a bit unfair that he may not have been entitled simply because they decided to stop printing the lists.

However, it's possible that this injury did not meet the criteria for inclusion in any list in which case - no wound stripe.

Alternatively, I've wondered if Casualty Lists were compiled but not actually made publicly available.

TEW