Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peronne & Verdun

Morval Ross

Hi Pals,

At last I have gotten my Uncle and father and i around the same table to plan out battlefield trip for 2005. This year we intend on 3 full days ont he Somme, 3 on the salient and then a trek down to Verdun for 2 full days. However, time being of great importance we will be flying in to Beauvais outside Paris and kick off on the Somme. However our usual lodgings in Albert are unavailable. We came up with the Idea of staying in Peronne for a change. I would be very interested in your comments on Peronne and suitable places to stay and so on.

We are sorted for the Salient, the Shellhole as usual.

Would also be interested in comments, guidance and advice on Verdun as this will be our first time.

Thanks for your help in advance pals.

Regards.

Ross.

In Peronne Ramparts Hotel is nice and has a class A restaurant, no English. In Verdun Hotel St Paul has been good on 2 visits, no English, very nice people, very good restaurant but I am not sure of its current status. There is a terrific Alsatian restaurant in town.

The forts not open to the public are easy to find and very interesting, Souville, Regret, Marre, take a look. Can also see Tavannes tunnel which burned killing many but be careful, trains use adjacent track.

Ross,

A PM or Email to Christina Holstein, a forum regular, should start a useful exchange on the options at Verdun - Christina is up the road in Luxembourg and a regular and knowledgable visitor and likes to encourage visitors who travel on the "the western front as most people know it". She was also a superb guide for the Pals tour last year.

Martin