Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Hi Everyone,

As here are so many new members joining the whole time I though I would put this out again.

If anyone has any relations or has done/is doing research on soldiers of the 13th Royal Scots no matter how much you have/know I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Please do let me know whenever you come across anything 13th Batalion Royal Scots. I am always interested to hear about these things.

Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful thus far.

All the best,

Tim

What sort of info are you after Tim? Do you hold a database of 13th Royal Scots' men or are you in the process of building one?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am in the process of building one at the moment, as well as collecting group photos and transcribing diaries amongst other things.

I am after any information away from CWGC and SDGW, anything that will fill out the story of the battalion and its men.

Many thanks for the reply.

All the best,

Tim

Tim

I've got one man that I definitely know of. Joined 13th Royal Scots, wounded, transfered to another battalion and subsequently KiA. I'll send you some proper info once I get back to my laptop. If you don't hear from me in the next week just send me a PM to jog my incredibly bad memory...

Paul

Hi Paul,

I got your email today.

Thanks for the info.

I'll let you know if I come across anything refering to your man.

Thank you once again.

All the best,

Tim

No problem Tim, good luck in your search.

Paul

• 4 months later...

Hi Tim,

My grandfather, William Taylor Soutar, was a SGT in the 13th, Royals Scots. See the attached medal card. I have a photo of him posted on this forum if you look up my posts.

Jim

post-7669-1123375763.jpg

Hi Jim,

You'll probably know, but just in case....

WT Soutar Gallantry MIC

The link is to the MIC for his gallantry award. He seems to have two(?) standard MICs, one to him as private & sergeant and the other solely as a sergeant.

Don't understand the caption on your other post - two quite different regiments and no mention of the Royal Highlanders on his MICs.

Welcome to the forum Jim, I hope you find it rewarding.

Stuart

Hi Tim,

My grandfather, William Taylor Soutar, was a SGT in the 13th, Royals Scots. See the attached medal card.  I have a photo of him posted on this forum if you look up my posts.

Jim

Thanks Tim,

I recieved this photo from my relatives. I saw the error in the text right away once I saw his cap insignia.

Jim

The link is to the MIC for his gallantry award.

Following on from my previous post, here is his citation from the London Gazette:

18433 Pte. W. T. Soutar, R. Scots

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He handled his platoon with great courage and determination. Later he reorganised his men and consolidated the position with marked skill and coolness.

This is the link: Gazette citation

Don't know if you already have this....

Stuart