Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Seven Buttion Service Dress Jacket

gordon92

For some time I had been looking for a CEF seven button jacket and finally acquired this one at a reasonable price.  See pics below.  This is a Model 1913 Service Dress Jacket that is fully configured with collar badges, CANADA shoulder titles, and formation patches for the 43rd Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) CEF.  This model has standup collar, sewn in shoulder straps, lined sleeves, pointed cuffs, and no rifle patches.  It was manufactured with only one belt hook on the left side; this example has been field modified with a second hook sewn in on the right.  Unfortunately, the writing on the inside that once contained a name on a patch has long since dissipated.  This soldier has two overseas service chevrons and three Good Conduct Badges.

664923286_7buttonmannequin.jpg.49ff32ee491c60306bab9e5d70eb121d.jpg  1281630629_7buttoninterior.jpg.8c8c1a0acf27c070af76b9991db76ba5.jpg

The Model 1913 jacket was originally only issued to the Permanent Force with the non-Permanent Active Militia continuing to use the Model 1903 seven button jacket that had removable should straps.  In October 1914 the Militia Council ordered that the troops assembled at Valcartier begin using the Model 1913 jacket. This 7 button jacket remained in production until early 1917.  There was a last version, presumably Model 1917, that was produced with stand and fall collar, rifle patches, and plain cuffs.  There are photos to be seen over on the CEF Study Group Forum of this last version jacket in use into the early 1930s.  Side note: I have viewed ample photographic evidence of at least two Militia regiments, the 5th RHC and 79th Cameron Highlanders, that had equipped some men with the British design 5-button jacket from the outset.  This is to be seen in photographs at Valcartier, and on the ship going over to England.

902489001_7buttoncollars.jpg.b28730cf6c7339db41f9381155311822.jpg  726648994_7buttonST.jpg.f96ad0caa1663eac94c0744db6090484.jpg  2019833319_7buttonbroadarrow.jpg.15887b03198d27ed455d337268aa3e1c.jpg

The formation patches consist of a French-grey rectangle indicating the 3rd Canadian Division with the dark blue circle above denoting the 43rd Battalion and 9th Infantry Brigade.  The collars display “43 Camerons” within a Maple Leaf.  The CANADA shoulder titles abut the shoulder seam which was the Canadian practice differing from the British half inch standard.  The inside is Canadian broad arrow marked.  The lower left sleeve displays three Good Conduct badges.  Secondary sources disagree as to whether these were earned at 2, 7, 12 years of service or at 4 year intervals.  I have been unable to find any mention in King’s Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Militia 1917 or in any other primary source regarding qualification for GCBs.

This particular jacket was not modified with the Highland open front.  Nonetheless, it was common to see this as shown in the last photo of two 15th Battalion sergeants.

302660488_15CEFjohn-cannon-stothers_jim-patterson.jpg.0fe82c754a4e090a1e3e6c4bb7627751.jpg

Lovely example -- congratulations!

Chris

Interesting to see, Mike.  Thank you for posting.

16 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Lovely example -- congratulations!

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting to see, Mike.  Thank you for posting.

Frogsmile.......Would you have any insight as to the Canadian standard for GCB qualification?

6 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Frogsmile.......Would you have any insight as to the Canadian standard for GCB qualification?

I don’t have chapter and verse for the Canadian regulations Mike, but they were based on the British Army’s and at that time deviation was quite rare and only for justifiable reasons.  Three GCB must have been for 12-years I think.

12 minutes ago, Ypres1915 said:

Nice jacket ... this pattern tunic was worn well into the 1930's by some militia units.

You may be interested in looking at these posts https://cefresearch.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=53995#p53995 over on the CEF Study Group Forum that have some photos of this jacket's use into the 1930s as you have said.

My own 1915 research for Canada in my GCB published article read:

The Great War involved the Colonies, whose soldiers served in very similar uniforms to the parent country. Canada in its own Canadian Militia Pay and Allowance Regulations 1914 followed the British system regarding qualification and awards. The Australian usage is complicated, in that the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) (which fought overseas) and the Australian Military Forces (who were the permanent force based in Australia) followed different criteria.  Taking the latter first, the badge was the same and the criteria were very similar to the British, and for good conduct per se. Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing, Citizen Forces MO 424/1912 and 58/1919 refer. The AIF badge, a chevron as in the British service, was for ‘long service and good conduct’ and appears to have been introduced on 24th January 1917 by AIF Order 470, Long Service Badges. Qualification was from date of embarkation, one badge for each completed year overseas, all ranks up to and including Warrant Officer, with no additional pay.  These latter badges may well have become obsolete when the ‘chevrons for overseas service’ (AIF Order 1089 of 29th January 1918) were introduced, identical to the British issue, small chevrons, point up, worn lower right sleeve, one for each year overseas and manufactured in blue with the exception of that for 1914 which was red.

I believe they were Dominions then rather than “Colonies”, an important distinction.

Dominion of Canada in 1867.

Very nice example of the CEF tunic Gordon!

Best to all!

Bryan

13 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Precisely so 👍

Best wishes to all.

12 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Best to all!

Bryan

I crave forgiveness from all Dominions.. The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

A plea in mitigation: I have an Australian friend who refers to himself as a colonial, and sometimes as a convict.

Been there Muerrisch!

Recall quite clearly a RN rating asking me if I was a member of the 'Roman Catholic Navy' (RCN) back in early '60's.

Plus ca change!

Have a great Christmas!

3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Been there Muerrisch!

Recall quite clearly a RN rating asking me if I was a member of the 'Roman Catholic Navy' (RCN) back in early '60's.

Plus ca change!

Have a great Christmas!

I think he must have been teasing you Bryan.

5 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

My own 1915 research for Canada in my GCB published article read:

The Great War involved the Colonies, whose soldiers served in very similar uniforms to the parent country. Canada in its own Canadian Militia Pay and Allowance Regulations 1914 followed the British system regarding qualification and awards. The Australian usage is complicated, in that the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) (which fought overseas) and the Australian Military Forces (who were the permanent force based in Australia) followed different criteria.  Taking the latter first, the badge was the same and the criteria were very similar to the British, and for good conduct per se. Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing, Citizen Forces MO 424/1912 and 58/1919 refer. The AIF badge, a chevron as in the British service, was for ‘long service and good conduct’ and appears to have been introduced on 24th January 1917 by AIF Order 470, Long Service Badges. Qualification was from date of embarkation, one badge for each completed year overseas, all ranks up to and including Warrant Officer, with no additional pay.  These latter badges may well have become obsolete when the ‘chevrons for overseas service’ (AIF Order 1089 of 29th January 1918) were introduced, identical to the British issue, small chevrons, point up, worn lower right sleeve, one for each year overseas and manufactured in blue with the exception of that for 1914 which was red.

Many thanks for this.

5 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Best to all!

Bryan

Appreciate the observation, RNCVR.

Is Dominion of Canada still the formal national title?

Yes, it is still the formal title of Canada, but in everyday life you never hear Canada referred to by that title, its just Canada now.

Dominion Day July 1st, is now Canada Day.

Best....Bryan

On 24/12/2020 at 16:08, gordon92 said:

Are you aware of this by Parks Canada, Mike: http://parkscanadahistory.com/publications/drab-serge-khaki-drill.pdf

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Are you aware of this by Parks Canada, Mike: http://parkscanadahistory.com/publications/drab-serge-khaki-drill.pdf

I was not aware of this publication, Frogsmile.  Excellent find!  It has all the details of Canadian Service Dress especially the interplay between British and Canadian designs.  It is extremely well sourced.  Thank you.

Mike

54 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

I was not aware of this publication, Frogsmile.  Excellent find!  It has all the details of Canadian Service Dress especially the interplay between British and Canadian designs.  It is extremely well sourced.  Thank you.

Mike

I'm glad it was useful.  I think it's excellent too.