Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Ranger info required please.

jollgo

Trying to find out when Thomas Dunleavy 3039 5th Connaught Rangers transferred to the Royal Munster Fusiliers, reg number 14054. He entered theatre of war 29/07/1915 according to his medal index card, which would have been Gallipoli. I need to find out if he moved on to Salonica  with the Rangers and fought at Kosturino before changing Regiments. Any ideas on how I can find this information gratefully received.  Regards John.

If you don't have a service record it is going to be very difficult. The war diaries may record 'x men transferred to' or 'y men arrived from' but the Salonika war diaries haven't been digitised so a trip to Kew would be required to view them.

Thank you Gardenerbill. It seems that the 1st, 6th, and 7th btns of the Royal Munster Fusiliers were on Kosturino Ridge on 7/12/1915, so even in the unlikely event of my man being transferred from the 5th Connaught Rangers to the RMFs at this time ( the Rangers having taken many casualties recently in Gallipoli ) he would still have been in the line at Kosturino.