Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Somme Map

Paul Reed

The Somme Tourist Board has produced a new map showing the Somme battlefields. Useful as a basic map, but not as detailed as others - but free! I picked mine up on the Somme, but I suspect you can get one by emailing them via their site:

www.somme-battlefields.com

post-12-1109543395.jpg

Paul,

could not find a mention on their web-site so have sent an email offering to defray costs of sending me one to Australia.

Hope to catch up with you next year.

Peter

No, it is only a basic map of the area and doesn't contain much historical information. It mainly shows the location of museums, main battle sites and accommodation. It's not brilliant, but it is free and useful for planning a first visit (who it is targeted at, I suspect) and yes, it is available - in theory - from all Tourist Info Offices.

I have just received a copy by email, having completed an online request form on the site.

2 page .pdf file. 4mb.

And no, I have not yet printed it off so I don't know what it is like!

Paul,

I have received a copy of the map (La Carte du Voyageur) after only three days!

PLUS Le Guide des Champs de Bataille, some useful historical information for the tourist, also on the French front ( A la découverte du front français) and some info on Americans and Australians. In French, of course.

PLUS a little guide in three languages (Renseignements pratiques - Practical Information - Praktische Hinweise) on the area , including info on how to get there and some tourist info.

Also a select bibliography including Middlebrook, Lynn MacDonald. Rose Coombs,

the Holts, three French titles and one German , and .....Walking the Somme by .......Paul Reed.

Thanks for the tip.

All the best,

Fred

Also a select bibliography including ....Walking the Somme by .......Paul Reed.

Oh well - that was nice of them. I had no idea they even knew it existed!

Glad you found it of interest.